That sand again!!!!

dwegg

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2009
Grant Park, Atlanta, GA
So i have had sand in my coop/run now for a few months and still like it...so do the girls...here are some pics of today...I clean it once a week and it takes me 6 mins to clean it with a simple cat litter scoop. I wanted to show how easy it is to go from mess to clean in minutes...

also I wanted to show off the roosts I made...I got the idea of removable roosts from another BYC member on here...great idea and easy to make....

Thanks for that...but like I said I take no credit for the design at all...I love BYC...there are so many great ideas and amazing people here on here with loads of experience...

I put sand in my coop and love it. I clean with a kitty litter scoop too. My problem is that the girls kick out pine shaving from the nest boxes all over the sand, thus making the easy clean coop not so easy anymore. Any suggestions?

I put sand in my coop and love it. I clean with a kitty litter scoop too. My problem is that the girls kick out pine shaving from the nest boxes all over the sand, thus making the easy clean coop not so easy anymore. Any suggestions?

How wide of a lip do you have on your nest boxes?? I'm just try mading the lip deeper - maybe add two inches across the opening???

I'm a sand-aholic too. I do worry about the silica dust of which there is a ton, so I use a respirator as I clean mine out every day! It couldn't be easier though and the chooks like to dustbath in it at night.

wow...now that's fancy...great set up...

teach1rus...that's a great idea to make the lip bigger on the nest boxes...mine also spil shavings and I just use a rake to lightly scrape across the sand...works good...

thumbsup.gif
Thanks for sharing! These posts make me consider going to sand... I just don't want to have to pay a fortunate to have a dumptruck bring a bunch waaaay out here to me. I will break down and do it eventually, I'm sure. In the meantime, I will continue to use grass, leaves, pine needles, hay and pine chip mixes.

You are right, sand is SO easy to clean! We have sand in our 9'x12' run and it's easy to kitty litter scoop and then rake. It's always clean and never smells. We still use some pine shavings in the nest boxes, but other than that it's sand all the way!

Currently, we only use sand in the run. Most the time it gets dug up and through through the wire mesh into the grass... but its ok. We use the kid friendly play sand, so its not that cheap. So we only add sand a few times a year.

Back
Top Bottom