1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

That silly little bulls eye

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sgoff, Aug 2, 2011.

1. sgoff

sgoff Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    Ruston, Louisiana
    I am watching my eggs for the bullseye. I have 6 hens and 1 rooster at present. I see there is a bunch of "chicken lovin'" going on. How long does it take to develop the bulls eye after the "deed"? I tend to collect my eggs in the late afternoon when I get home from work, daily. Therefore, I am certain I know what day they are laid. I put them directly into the fridge right now as I have not been saving for hatching. I have read you should leave them on the counter, but my mother was a home ec teacher so everything goes in the fridge- I don't want the food police coming with a warrant from my mother..... Will the bullseye develop over hours or over days? I want to start gathering to hatch and I am wondering does the bulls eye happen right away or does it take a bit of time to show up? Not sure I am being clear...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    There should be a bulls eye if the mating is done. when you crack open the egg it should be there on the yolk.

3. sgoff

sgoff Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    Ruston, Louisiana
    I was not clear. I understand that mating will create the bullseye IF my rooster is fertile AND gets the job done. My question is does the bulls eye become visible immediately? So if I see the deed happen, I wait for the hen to lay, I run over and immediately pick up the egg and then I immediately crack open the egg, am I going to see the bulls eye,? or do I have to wait a couple of hours for enough cell division to see the bulls eye? and if I put them immediately into the fridge, does that stop the bulls eye from developing far enough to become visible? [​IMG]

I am seeing the bullseye on some of my eggs but not all. right now only 3 are laying and 1 rooster. The other 3 (plus a few youngsters not yet mature) are also with the rooster. I don't know the age of my rooster or his fertility, so I am curious if he just isn't getting the job done every time, OR if my putting the eggs in the fridge right away is arresting the development of the bullseye.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Is he having fun with ALL the girls? If not, that accounts for some nonfertile. I think the bullseye is there immediately.

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I would give it a couple of days after a mating before you look for the bullseye. A hen will keep laying fertile eggs for up to 2 weeks or so after a single mating. Eggs can happily stay on the counter for 3-4 weeks (depending on your ambient temperature of course!). Hope that helps.

6. ZooKeeperInTheMaking

ZooKeeperInTheMaking Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Llwyngwril
    im pretty sure the bullseye is created before the egg is laid..

7. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:I love your avatar pic it reminds me of the saying... look calm on the water but paddle like hell underneath..

8. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I didnt think I could put the eggs in the refrigerator if I was going to incubate them.......confused.....

9. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    not sure how soon after but I know they can be fertile for several weeks after the deed, or at least thats what I heard, lol!

10. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Oh and I took eggs out of the fridge for my hen to incubate and they are fertile and growing in the eggs at last candeling so I am not sure how much that affects fertility either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by