That sinking feeling: Recalled food. LOL

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by silkiechicken, Dec 2, 2010.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

So I got a phone call from a store where I bought some nutmeg that has been put on recall for salmonella. The sinking feeling came as I swallowed the last bit of fresh egg nog.... made with the spice that was recalled. LOL

Guess it isn't all bad when stores use cards to track what you're buying. I'd have not found out otherwise.

What kind of irony will that be to get salmonella poisoning from the spice instead of the eggs. LOL

I'm not too worried though. Small amount of nutmeg, no confirmed cases from the nutmeg, the requirement of something like 10 thousand salmonella cells to make a healthy person sick, and an iron stomach. To put it in perspective, it only takes less than 100 or so individual e.coli cells to make one sick.

2. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Nutmeg!? Definitely not the typical food you picture as possibly containing salmonella. Holy crap, what IS safe from salmonella?

Kinda creepy and awesome all at the same time that they were able to find you and contact you.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No way to call me; I usually use cash. OTOH, the can is half empty and I haven't gotten sick yet....

Whole or ground?

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It was Frontier brand, wasn't it? Voluntary recall if I remember right.

5. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Good they can track you....although kind of unsettling.

6. silkiechicken

Yes, it was the frontier brand, and only of a specific shipment. Bought some ground stuff in bulk.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2010/12/salmonella-fear-leads-to-nutmeg-recall/

Most contamination in food is of human origin, humans that don't wash their hands!

If I didn't want them tracking me, I'd not use my "club card", however, I don't really care if they know I buy 4 gallons of milk a week, buy only fuji apples, and don't shop at the deli. At least when they know what I buy, they can give me advertisements worth my while to look at. Coupons for frozen potato or old spice deodorant= trash can, coupon for dried pasta = hey I can use this.

7. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Maybe that will keep some of the kids from snorting it. Ive heard its the new thing amongst teens.

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:EW for WHAT? That's ignorant..... Though I could see some little ingrate doing it and bragging about it [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

I heard about that. Nutmeg in higher doses does have a psychoactive effect due to it's myristicin content. If you eat a few teaspoons all at once, it may have enough to have similar effects of MAOI inhibitors (anti-depressant drugs). However, side effects would include stuff like nausea, dizziness, hallucinations and so on... much like taking antidepressants can have. Plus, you don't want to eat large amounts of that stuff it if you are pregnant, since I'm pretty sure it also alters progesterone? production/regulation, which is an important hormone involved in reproductive cycles. But when are you really going to want to eat a tablespoon of nutmeg plain? In cooking, a teaspoon goes a long way, and eating that oh so delicious fatty winter time snack in one sitting would be an accomplishment.

10. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    who knew? [​IMG] You would think they'd find other things to stimulate their minds though...stupid kids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by