That SNEAKY, Conniving Rooster...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barry Natchitoches, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed a rooster could be so cunning...

We have an extra rooster (named Pierre), so we set him up in a small chicken tractor away from his father and his gals. Then we bought him two hens of his own, the maximum that his tractor will house comfortably. Unlike his father and his dad's hens (who live in a big henhouse and have a specially fenced chicken run to play in), this extra rooster and his two hens are allowed to roam all of our back yard -- all of it, except for the main henhouse and chicken run where the larger flock lives.

Pierre is like any older adolescent boy -- he likes his girls.

The problem is, his girls aren't always too interested in him.

There are times when they (more or less) willingly submit to his advances. But then there are just some days when they don't want to be messed with.

Such was yesterday, while I was weeding the garden. Both of Pierre's hens rebuffed his advances multiple times. Pierre was NOT a happy camper.

So finally, Pierre went close to the house -- away from me, away from his hens, and away from the main henhouse with the larger flock happily scratching in the dirt.

Then he gives the call. You know the one -- the one that says to the other chickens "Here's Food! Here's Food!" And he points his head down towards the supposed location of this great food.

I knew what that particular cackle meant. I've heard it dozens of times before.

And his hens knew what that particular cackle meant. They went RUNNING over to the spot that he was pointing out with his cackle and his posturing.

When the hens arrive over to the destination, they duck down to eat only to find out that there is NO food there.

But while they ducked down looking for the food, tricky ole' Pierre mounts them. First the EE that is his favorite. Then when he finishes, he gets the Production Red who was still searching around thinking there has to be food SOMEWHERE in the area...

Is there a law or something against roosters "getting some" through fraudulent claims?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

What a sneak!!!!!!!

3. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Dirty lil roo! [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

My roos do the same thing.

5. hellafarms

hellafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Well....Sounds to me like you should have named him Tiger Woods..[​IMG]

6. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    That's a smart bird [​IMG]

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    And the hens fall for it time and again. I think it's a game with them.

8. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Great story - thank you!!! [​IMG]

9. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    [​IMG] What a smart little guy

10. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa