That was close!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by my5hens, May 7, 2011.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    I let my girls out for some play time today and a hawk swooped down to kill one! Luckily I always stay close by them and I was able to scare it away but it still scared the heck out of me! My girls were pretty freaked out too and they had to go back into their coop because I dont think the hawk went far away. 4 of them freaked out and the 5th one was totally oblivious and just kept right on eating her grass inspite the commotion around her. [​IMG]

Oh well, we'll try again tomorrow!

2. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:I'm so glad you avoided that close call!!!

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes, I hate to say it, but it probably will be back. I have some around here and see one almost daily now. Funny thing, after one got in the coop and terrorized my hens but couldn't kill them (nice sized Buff Orps) they don't even give the girls a second look now. It was scary though. I heard a commotion and went running out there that day. The hawk heard me coming and left quickly. The girls were huddled into a corner, beaks out and screaming like banshees. I imagine that hawk was befuddled. I had to sit with them in there for about an hour before they'd let me leave without starting to scream again.

That was a few months ago and they and the hawk barely even notice each other now except for the one with a baby. She keeps it pretty safe though and I've learned her "THERES THE HAWK" call, odd but it sounds almost identical to an egg song, only louder.

4. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I will occasionally let my six chciks out of their run so they can range in the yard and bushes. I can not keep them out for a long time because I have to sit with them with shotgun. Almost like my daughter were teenagers again. We see the hawks eyeing them but I only had to fire at one once.

5. zoo357

zoo357 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    NW Indiana
    Glad they are all OK.
    We have large tractor coops and we made sure to put wire on the top because of all the hawks we have in our area. Sure enough, there is a big dent in one of the coops. My neighbor said he saw a hawk circling over head. Hope he had a good headache...

6. andrew6d9

andrew6d9 Chillin' With My Peeps

darn hawks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by