That was not a chicken...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bobbi-j, Dec 15, 2010.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It was a cat. A half-grown wild kitten was in my coop when I went out to feed this afternoon. I had opened the pop door this morning on the off-chance they'd venture out. (they didn't - they don't like the cold and snow) The mystery is, how it got into the run to get in the coop. I have 2x4 welded wire all the way around it, and over the top. Apparently that's still big enough for a cat that size to get through. It wasn't doing any damage, just hanging out, laying in the straw, chickens wandering around totally oblivious to its presence. When I came in, it ran out the pop door and when I went out to see where it got in, it was on the top of the run. As far as I could tell, there weren't any gaps. Hmmm - Houdini cat?

2. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Poor thing was probably cold. If it is no danger to your chickens it could help. My cats catch mice and the chickens eat them.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree...probably looking for a warm place. [​IMG]

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yeah, I wasn't too worried about her being in there. It just surprised me because I thought the run was pretty tight. The only tracks I can find show that she must still be able to squeeze through the wire. I won't let her be in there at night, though. Not sure if she'd be hungry enough to eat a chicken or not.

5. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Personally, I would make sure she isn't hungry enough to eat a chicken and feed her--but then I will take in strays.

6. chickensrfood

chickensrfood Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Call animal control/enforcement they will get rid of it.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It was born here. We live out in the country - the only animal control we have here is the .22 or 12ga. if needed. Not gonna happen with the kitty. Now that I know she's still around, I'll be putting some food out. I knew there were a couple of them this summer, but hadn't seen them for awhile.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Even adult cats can get through some tiny holes. If they can turn their head sideways and fit though, the rest of their body will fit as well. It's almost like their shoulders dislocate to get in really tight spaces.
    When I was a kid we were only allowed outside pets, and we adopted a stray cat. My dad made a particle board box inside his storage shed about 2ftx2ft, and cut a 4"x4" hole in the wall, so the feed could be in the dry and the cats could come and go as they pleased. Surprisingly, we only got one known possum visit in the whole time we lived there, but then again the neighbor had coon hunting dogs. hehe
    Adult cats went in the 4" hole with out really having to squeeze, I don't think a 2"x4" hole would be a problem for a younger cat with a smaller head.

9. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Only one problem. where a kitty can get in so can other critters. Double check all of the places your fence comes together. One way to figure it out is lock up your hensthen put some food in the fenced area . Let the kitty see you do it and hang back and watch. Good luck Gloria Jean

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:Yeah, that was my first thought. So, I walked all the way around and couldn't find any gaps. She must be able to fit her head through the fence. I know that a cat can get through anything their head fits through. LOL - I just remembered one of the boys' friends one time. The garage door was only open a couple of inches on the bottom, and he watched a cat get in. He said, "It just oozed in!" This little girl must have "oozed" through the fence!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by