"That's just how they are..."

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by easttxchick, Dec 21, 2010.

1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Ok, I NEVER air anything personal on here, but if I don't let it out, I WILL, potentially, explode(OK, not really, but it sounds dramatic).
    Quick background-When my father passed 4 years ago, I sorta lost my love for all things holiday. Also, this past August, we lost my sister's husband in a horrific vehicle accident. That to say this, I had no intention of having any holiday stuff at my house this year-NONE. I also almost never get to spend holidays with my family due to the miles between us-I do have one sister that still lives here close to me. With me so far? [​IMG]
    Well, my MIL told the rest of the family that I wanted to have Christmas day here at my house(totally false) and so it was planned that we would have the Christmas day meal here-I went along with it for the sake of DH and just let it go and said OK, we'll have it here.
    Called my sister and told her to come to Christmas day here at my house and due to her family plans, she wouldn't be available til the evening-no worries, we'd have dinner at around 5 pm.
    Despite not wanting any part of this, I decided to take lemons and make lemonade and invite a BUNCH of people(friends, friends of friends, etc.) that couldn't be with their families to come to Christmas dinner at my house(numbers have gotten pretty large, but that's my fault).
    Anywho, I told my MIL that dinner would be at 5 because that's when the only member of my family that I would be able to spend Christmas with could come. A couple of hours ago, I got an irate phone call from DHs sister asking me(insert nasty tone here), "Is there any particular reason why you're having dinner at 5?" Explained that it was so my sister could be here. She then proceeds to tell me that, "I have some people complaining about the time-they have other places to be and that time isn't convenient." They are also not happy because now, it's not just family, it's a lot of friends and things.
    Really? How on God's green marble can they not understand that I want to be with my ONE family member that is local for Christmas and they want me to plan around their schedules. AND they're unhappy because by inviting people who couldn't be with their families to be a part of mine, I was just trying to display what, to me, is what Christmas is REALLY all about anyway?
    Told my DH and his response? "That's just how they are." Guess that's as good an excuse as any to act like the north end of a south-bound donkey.
    I apologize , but man, I'm so ticked right now I just want to call them and tell them to STUFF their turkey!
    Long, disjointed rant is over-thank you for listening. [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh my friend. I am so sad for you, that your in-laws are ruining what should be one of the most special days of the year.

Wish I could reach out and give you a real [​IMG]

Tell em like it is. Dinner will be served at 5. They don't like it? Well, I already told you what to do with the turkey. [​IMG]

I truly wish that you and your sister could just escape and come spend the day with me. I can promise you it would be a peaceful, love-filled day. [​IMG]

3. ebwy2

ebwy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    simply put - if they don't want dinner at 5, they can stay home. You and yours will be eating at that time, but if it doesn't suit them they don't have to come. It's extremely rude of them to try to make you serve dinner at the time they want. They are the guests, which means they should accept that you as the hostess sets the menu AND the schedule.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    uhh..i HOPE you still kept the meal for 5??

5. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    If they have other places to be than they can go there instead and leave you to have a good time with friends and loving family.

6. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Of course, you made the dog cake without a rear-end, right?

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

They're being the people to whom one can compare oneself and think, "I am a super nice and unselfish person." "Lalalalala, I feel great."

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Of course, you made the dog cake without a rear-end, right?

Yup! I'll be there for 5!
    Well..maybe 4..for a few drinks beforehand... [​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Paging easttxchick, paging easttxchick - there is a status message waiting for you on FB. [​IMG]

10. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] Thanks for that, Kat. I'm so glad you're bringing that extra turkey stuffer-there's plenty of stuffin' to be done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by