That's MY watermelon!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Jul 30, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Darn dog! Abby at 13 little watermelons earlier this season. The plants were still flowering and we had 3 growing to a good size and since they were still hanging, figured Abby thought they were too big.
    DH mentioned something about it last night. So either he saw she ate it yesterday, or she went out and plucked one off this morning for a snack. We now have 2 and I fixed the fence around the garden - which all the watermelon vines are growing on, so I can't really fix it without hurting the watermelon plants...

Rather than let it go to waste or beat her over the head with what she hadn't finished, I gave the rest of it to the ducks.

Ally and Cadbury were happy that Abby raided the garden again
    mmm, thanks Abby
    [​IMG]

mmm, watermelon, yumm
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Sure look like they are enjoying themselves [​IMG]

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    LOL, my dogs would only eat watermelon if it were cut up, seeds removed and put in their bowls!!!! And even then, they would look at me as if to say they know I have better stuff somewhere else!!!!!!

4. ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack

ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    TX
    LOL !!! You've got some very heavy eaters. [​IMG]

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    so cute! my lab would think a watermelon was a ball! [​IMG] not had success growing any here though [​IMG]

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I discovered by chance that NONE of my animals--including the indomitable, always-hungry goats--will step through the giant pumpkin plant to get to the other stuff inside the garden. Next year, I'm planting pumpkins around all the garden beds to keep the ducks and goats out. Would it work for your dog, too? Of course, it's a little late for this year... at least the pup is getting some good, homegrown nutrition. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by