1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thats Not Trash! Repurposing for chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Stuck in the Coop, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Stuck in the Coop

Stuck in the Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    North Central, MO
    I love, love, love to find new uses for trash or unwanted items. We live on a single income and must find every way to cut costs. Here are a few ideas that worked for me and cost me basically nothing.

Dust Bath Tub with Cover

[​IMG]

Little Tykes easel - outgrown toy; Galvanized Tub was toy box years ago; Sand - free from local creek; poultry Dust - $6.00 (and I have most of it left), old vinyl scrap - free

[​IMG]

Hanging Bucket Feeder (don't we all have these?) Free - had it all just laying around

[​IMG]

Poop hammock - Pool float mattress. Bought for .50 last year on clearance. My daughter was playing with it in house and learned cat claws + plastic is a bad thing. I was heading to trash it when inspiration struck to use as a hammock. It is just tacked to walls with small nails I remove to clean. (Yes, it needs to be cleaned right now.) I scrape it off every couple of days then hose it off weekly.

[​IMG]

Cat Litter box from local Dollar Store - $1 each. I have these sitting everywhere outside. All my animals love to drink out of them. The chickens spend hours standing in them when it's real hot.

Do they look great? Nope. Do they work great? YES and they are mostly FREE [​IMG]

I hope to inspire others to look at trash in a new light. What can you make with it? Garage Sales and thrift stores are super places to find items to repurpose at low cost. Don't limit yourself to just your chicken coop - use your imagination! [​IMG]

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Bravo!

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I love re-purposing!! I'm always trying to figure out how I can "use that".
    Chinchilla cages turned into a mini coop and run for my two D'Uccle hens:
    [​IMG]

My box stall, re-purposed into a wood shed that is temporarily re-purposed for housing two hens with favus, cat carrier is a nest box and dog crate is where they locked up at night:
    [​IMG]

A parrot cage in the garage where I'm nursing a chick scalped by the flock (has a buddy for company). I have this available for emergencies.
    [​IMG]

Self explanatory. This is sitting in front of the run:
    [​IMG]

The tortoises pen. That's an underground water pipe spray painted, dogloo for extra shade,
    their water hole is a plant saucer(oops, realize it's not in the picture), the trellis top serves no
    purpose, I just put it there.
    [​IMG]

Any ideas for this:
    [​IMG]

4. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    It always makes me feel frugal, clever and environmentally ethical to take something that might end up in a dump and find a new use for it.

Nest boxes made from drawers purchased at ReStore (Thrift store for Habitat for Humanity) for $.50 each.

[​IMG]

Perches/Roosts made from old wine racking material we don't use any more. Poop slide made from corrugated plastic sign material that was in a box in the garage. The bin is long gone but the lid was rescued from the trash and works perfectly for the new purpose.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  5. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    oops

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  6. Stuck in the Coop

Stuck in the Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    North Central, MO
    Knock Kneed, I love the colors of orange and pink together for the pens. How about adding some chicken wire and using as a modified tractor? It would be great for little or young birds. hmmm might take a bit for inspiration to hit on that play gym.

Love all the frugal BYCers! I find new ideas here all the time.

7. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    OOOOOOOO I LOVE this type of stuff!!! Way to keep it out of the landfills!

8. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I love it! we try to reuse anything we can, and you can't help but love thing when they're FREE! I'm not a stickler for everything being fancy and new looking when it comes to the chickens, we're moving soon and so we're going to expand our chicken situation and build a larger coop and run. we're going to try to scrap and salvage antyhign we can to make it cheaper. I love the drawer nesting boxes, I'm definitely going to have to use those! [​IMG]

9. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Haha, I sympathize. [​IMG] "Are you SURE we can't find some way to build a *Insert chicken item here: Roost, brooder, coop, etc*??"

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I'm a #1 fan of recycling/repurposing. I love the things that you have recycled. Keep up the good work. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by