That's odd.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cats Critters, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I currently have 12 hens 5 roosters (which I'm trying to find homes for some) and every night if it's still light out when I go to lock-up, I find Red (a EE rooster) chasing 2 or 3 of the other roosters away from the coop. Also I have some birds that have taken to roosting in trees and I knock/ remove them and get them inside. But I have one little BA/EE who for the last few weeks has been roosting to high in the tree for me to get out.

So tonight I go out when their is some light out , when roosters are normal chasing and the BA/EE is normal roosting in the tree. But tonight no roosters chasing and no BA/EE in the tree. Go inside, do a head count, everyone inside cuddled up. My only thoughts are either they just didn't like the temperature (which they have been fine with before) or they sense bad weather coming (I'm going to look at the weather report after I post this) , or their just messing with me.....

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They're just messing with you. Chickens are good at mind games.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Looks that way, the only thing real showing up on the weather report is that is to go down to 30 degrees tonight.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Perhaps there was an aerial predator in the area, and they were smart enough to realize that being outside was not a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by