Thawing and Brining a BIG Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by SkyWarrior, Nov 14, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I figure you folks would have suggestions for this, seeing as you've been so helpful in the past.

We butchered our two BBW last month. I cut up one and the other one went into the freezer whole (I'm going to be glad when Thanksgiving is over so I can have my freezer back![​IMG] ). Thanksgiving is coming and there's no way in heck I'm going to be able to thaw that bird in the frig, let alone brine it. This is what I'm thinking of doing:

Getting a Styrofoam cooler and stuffing the turkey in that to thaw in the house. (It's SNOWING out right now! [​IMG] ) Dangerous? Should I try putting it in the garage and hope it thaws?

A day or two before, start the brining in the cooler and put the turkey outside in the garage to stay cool. I don't want a turkey-cicle or have to chip it out of the brine. [​IMG] I don't know of any large plastic bags that are food safe that are big enough. I may ask the butcher when I pick up my venison this week if they have any I could use.

The temperatures outside are somewhere between 18F-20F at night and 32F-40F during the day. The horses' water is getting a layer of ice, but I can break it, as can the horses.

The turkey is probably 30-35 lbs. [​IMG] How long do you think I need to thaw it?

So, what should I do? [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've thought about (not seriously) calling the Butterball turkey line and leaving them speechless with this one. [​IMG]

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Cook it frozen lower and slower! It will be one of the best turkeys you ever had. I have done it on abour 250 degs basting several times. It will take all day so you could start it Wed afternoon and bast it once during the night. Just get the temp deep in the breast to the 180-185 range. I also coat the frozen bitd with a little veggie oil.

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Frozen? Really?

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Yes, frozen solid! Google it because I can't remember exact temp and time per pound. I think it's in the neighborhood of 225 and 1 hour per poung but be sure to take internal temp. They are wounderful cooked from fully frozen! I only have cooked fresh, never frozen for years now so I can't remember. I learned about it from my selection, care, processing and cooking of meats class in college.Most google searches will say 325 but that's too hot. That temp has to do with USDA temps. 225 will thaw it and cook it slow! I promis it's great!

5. milestoog

milestoog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    If you will check you-tube, search for Good Eats, Romancing the Bird. Alton Brown did a very nice show on thawing, brining and cooking a holiday turkey. It included thawing a bird outside the Frig, 2 options best I remember, it is worth watching. Happy Thanksgiving !

NT

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've never cooked a frozen turkey but I usually cook other meats frozen.

When I process meat it gets all cleaned up and pan ready before it goes into the freezer so I can roll it out of the wrapper and into the frying pan.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Additional thought: however, I think this might depend upon whether or not you rested the turkey before you froze it or just put it straight into the freezer. It needs to be rested, either before freezing or after thawing.

8. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:x2
    im going to have to try this..... as long as it comes to the right temp when its done.. there wouldnt be any problems [​IMG]
    i just tryed a roast but it in the oven on the highest temp it will go cook it for 7 min turn off the oven then let it rest closed for two hours it was so good and moist ill never cook it any other way (if you like them well done cook it for 30 min.. but i like mine med rare)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by