the 1000 mile girls.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BairleaFarm, Nov 23, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I think every kid should experience farm life. thats not going to happen but chicken hatching is easily doable. Ive giving several eggs to a couple schools for hatching. My daughters preschool was interested but really didnt have a budget for such. I built them an incubator and gave them a dozen eggs. When i built them the bator I wrote a few brief instructions on the lid. I sent the stuff to Richmond VA. I talked with the teacher over the phone for a few nights on how to adjust the bator for her conditions. Told her how to rotate the eggs and a little on humidity. With my life changing and going out of town on an emergency I never heard from her again. Day 23 she calls to tell me 2 chicks hatched.

When i let a school or club hatch my eggs I let them sell the chicks and keep the profit of give them away. forward to today (10 days later) my ex calls to tell me shes bring chicks back with the kids. I pick them up in WV and sure as shooting 2 kids and 2 chicks.

Apparently the kids were playing with the chicks and fell asleep. The little ones spent most of the trip from VA to WV walking around my exs van. She said she could hear them when they got spereated. They would find each other and stop chirping.

When they hatched my son(age 5) went to look at them. Told my daughters teacher "awww no turkens) He showed her how to feed them and how to do the beding.

second to last pic - they have lived in this bator since hatch - tonight they will sleep with others like them.

The last pic - taken an hour ago. Everyone asleep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    awe that is cute

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    That last photo is a charmer! Very nice story!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by