The 1st Time Free Range

mritti

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
I have 5 week old chickens that I would like to allow the freedom of getting out of their run and enjoying our large fenced in hillside. The biggest question I have is when are they old enough to do this and how do they know what to eat and what not to eat. We do have some toxic plants such as a large avocado tree (they can't reach it necessarily since I cut all the low branches and I would pick up any leaves under before I let them out) and we have a row of azalea bushes as well as a lot of tomato plants in the garden. There also may be some random plants on the hillside that I don't necessarily know about.

I plan to let them free range while I am out there with them - watching to make sure no predators are around and that they don't get into the above-listed plants. They are fast though and I want this to be an enjoyable experience where I am not following their every move. Some people say they know what they can and can not eat, but is that true and worth the risk? I am planning to wait until they are about 10 weeks so I have some time to plan, but I would really welcome thoughts on this. They have a really nice sized run, but seeing them free on the hillside for an hour or so everyday while I am out there gardening feels like the ideal situation, if I can do it is a safe way.

I am of the camp, that they know what works and what doesn't. More than likely though, they can become a real problem with your ornamental plants in that is amazing what they can dig up and how fast they can do it.

Mine I let out about 5 weeks, and they did eat the grass, and I think it is good for them.

Mrs K

I am of the camp, that they know what works and what doesn't. More than likely though, they can become a real problem with your ornamental plants in that is amazing what they can dig up and how fast they can do it.

Mine I let out about 5 weeks, and they did eat the grass, and I think it is good for them.

Mrs K
Thank you for your response and experience! I wish we had grass.

Even though tomatoes are on the toxic list... my chickens have on occasion gotten into my tomato plants and eaten them to NOTHING, with zero issues. :th

So... I think they would be fine, but I think all of the plants that you love best will die.

BUT, before you decide to let them have the joy of destroying your plants, I would treat train them first.

So, pick a word cue, like "here chickie" and toss out a treat that they love.

Make sure that they ALL learn to run when you call.

Then, let them out to free range.

Back
Top Bottom