1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The 300 dollar chick

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CluckyCharms, Oct 6, 2012.

1. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

As I was attempting to take pictures of my new little Welsummer (her name is Chipmunk since she looks like one), she began squirming (which is strange because we got her just yesterday and she's been wanting to be with me since we walked in the door). In any case, she was squirming something fierce, so I put her back in the brooder for a while. I took her out and once again attempted to take a picture with my right hand as I cradled her with my left. Right when I was about to hit the "snap" button - she started her squirming again, and somehow snuck out of my grasp and teetered on the end of my thumb like Wild E. Coyote on the edge of the cliff shortly before cascading to his demise. I am 5' 9" and was holding her at chest height - surely she would perish or be extremely injured if she were to fall off. I reacted instinctively and the camera just fell to the hardwood floor - jamming the zoomer to an irreparable state, breaking the glass beyond all recognition and taking a minor chunk out of the 50 year old floorboard. The good news is, my chickybaby didn't fall to her demise; she is fine. The bad news is - I just broke a $300 camera saving her life.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband just corrected me; the 425 dollar chick. [​IMG]

3. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Oooooooops! I guess we won't get a photo of the chick then? [​IMG] Frankly, I like your instincts! Sorry about the camera, but glad the little girl is ok!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Awwwww. Good for you ! I would have done the same thing :)

6. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Oh my gosh!!! A $425 chick. Boy, oh, boy! I hope she lives for a looooong time! [​IMG]

7. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    Just move the decimal point over two spaces to the left, there,, she only cost $4.25 cents. ANother wonderful example of Chicken math equations at work!!!!

[​IMG]On a serious note,, SOrry about that camera!

MB

8. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    Am I the only one concerned about the flooring??? Glad the baby is fine,but how is the floor? Is it fixable? And OUCH on the camera as well! Hope that baby lays LOTS of eggs when she gets older.

9. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    Floor Schmoor

10. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish ours were only $425 I'm not sure how much since I am afraid to calculate the cost of the 12x24 chain link run, the 12x12 house wthh nesting box, baby pen i built, grow out pen, feeders, waterers, heat lamps and power, fuel to get food, food costs, more chickens, then guinea, now turkeys....

The list goes on and $425 is just a drop in the bucket, on the positive side, there is little to no cost for clothing, shoes, sports, or college tuition.

and if they don't turn out, you can give them away, sell them, put them down, or eat them [​IMG][​IMG]

RobertH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by