the 30s all over again

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickenrandomness, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. by the looks of the economy and stocks, we'll be heading for another great depression

the other day, i was watching this video about our recceding economy. It was talking about how the government is not making anything better and it compared the 2008 event when things got really bad for the economy to the 30s. According the grpah, the 30s fall and the 2008 to present were very similar how there was first a huge drop then a recovery, like how things got better until recently, then in the 30s there was the bigger rop that lasted to WWII.

A depression is bound to happen in even days from now! I wouldn't be surprized if before my school starts again (a week and a half from now) the stock market will have another huge drop if not if not crash

I've already started discussing what to do when we end up in poverty. Being on a farm not too far from town, we'd probably be first on the hit-list to steal from. Thoughts like people stealing my chickens just makes me very sad... i'm not quite sure how to protect our livestock because my mom says were going to get a milk cow if another depession hits.

So what do some of you BYCers think of all this hullabaloo the government is getting us in?

2. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    i hope we do not have another great depression because then we might not have internet anymore and i could not go on BYC

3. Quote:i can imagine that millions of people around the USA (including me) would have their power cut. but that would not be the biggest of our problems on my farm; water will. we already have a big water problem now because we have to have someone haul it in for us. We'll have to work for water, not money

4. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    Quote:i can imagine that millions of people around the USA (including me) would have their power cut. but that would not be the biggest of our problems on my farm; water will. we already have a big water problem now because we have to have someone haul it in for us. We'll have to work for water, not money

yah there will be alot of problems if that happened

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I'm still prepared and stocked up from Y2K, runaway inflation, alignment of the planets, 2012, and Zombie Apocalypse.

6. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Life is tough but come on it's nothing like the 30s. And what's all this talk about cutting power to millions of Americans and working for water instead of money? Are you being serious?

7. Quote:not yet its not, you never know, it happened once, it can happen again

and about working for water, i was talking about my family; the govenrment is printing out money like no tomarrow so if another depression happens, the US dollar would not be worth much and my family would need water more than anything because clean fresh water is rather scarse out here on the prarie

8. RandyChickens

RandyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    I'll be stealin some chickens.

9. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I heard something on NPR not long ago about how "Great Depression Statistics" are happening right now, such as a similar birth rate per woman, low interest rates, the fact that people are saving rather than spending, etc...

Michigan has been in a bad recession since 2001. While the 2008 one hit us hard, it was just a continuation of what we've had for the past 10 years. Land is literally dirt cheap, houses are even cheaper, taxes have gone down, we've lost half a million people and 2 Congress seats, nearly all public employees are facing lay-offs, buy-outs, loss of benefits and salary cuts, etc...

10. Q9

Q9 General Headache

You guys think this is improbable? Chickenrandomness is closer to the truth than many a media commentator. We're already close to depression-era unemployment levels. A variety of things could happen at this point, including going the way of Zimbabwe and Weimar Germany. Depression era US would be a walk in the park compared to that, but the general policy appears to be to throw money at a problem until it goes away. Not a good sign, considering that throwing money at it usually makes a problem worse. [​IMG]

It's not just the US. The EU is going downhill rapidly as well.

Remind yourselves of what happens when a company goes too far in debt. THEY GO BANKRUPT. Governments do too, eventually. They will postpone it, of course, at the expense of the citizens. There could very well be trade wars on the horizon - possibly even a shooting war. Remember, the Chinese are going to want their money, and Communist governments don't like being denied their money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by