The Abominable Snow Chicken!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NeeleysAVLChicks, Jan 5, 2010.

1. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    My girls have had no experience with snow until last week and much to my surprise, my crazy, normally fussy girls were all about it!

[​IMG]

Granted, not long after this picture was taken Lucille realized she was in over her head (literally) and had to be put back in the coop (along with the rest of my snow loving chickens) for the rest of the day/until it stopped snowing/convinced dear husband to dig them out a good spot.

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG]

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Brrr. That looks cold!

4. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    The funny thing, it was the warmest then that it had been all week and since then!

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Mine did the same thing now they stick head out pop door see its snowing and stay in its funny.

6. skav2407

skav2407 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Wakefield, RI
    Mine won't touch snow, they come out the pop door and right under the raised coop. I even shoveled their run and they still won't come out. Although I do have one black silkie who insists on eating snow and won't touch the waterer 2 feet away from her.

7. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    Although I do have one black silkie who insists on eating snow and won't touch the waterer 2 feet away from her.

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!

Snow has to be one of the funniest things when it comes to chickens. I put Fudge, my Cochin out earlier... they wouldn't come out, any of my hens, but seen as she's 6 months old, and fully feathered, i figured she should have a look. So i scooped her up, plopped her down and hse just stood there looking at me. Her expression was that of "Why the HELL have you taken me out of my warm house and plonked me in this?"
    Was so funny. She wouldn't move. She did appreciate me lifting her backup though [​IMG]

8. Kanthaka

Kanthaka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
  9. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    So glad the runs are covered here! We're expecting up to 4 inches by Thursday. What a hoot! Loved the video, but newly's chicken is out in a blizzard!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:'Cause girls just want to have fun! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by