THE ADDICTION BEGINS!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lewisfarmgurl, Jun 13, 2008.

1. lewisfarmgurl

lewisfarmgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    south carolina
    I am a new member here on the BYC , and have lurked reading everything I could. I have learned alot about yogurt , fencing needed for the coop and run, size of house needed for "x" number of chickens, and the difference in alot of breeds.

Now , I have dived in the deep end of the pool by bidding on a incubator! I have my plans for my house and run ,along with a order in for some meat birds.

That my friends is not all! Thanks to the ladies and their awesome leader MissPrissy from the yogurt forum I broke down and asked my DH for some goats. ( I know he wont let me have a cow) All the talk about goats milk and how good it is did me in. I had been wanting some for awhile and decided to just go ahead and ask for them.

My children...( 2 youngest) want to start raising show hens. I'm not sure about letting them untill I learn more about it.I don't like to start something unless I know what is expected and I'm going about it in the right way. Same thing applies with the goats, will learn alot more about care and raising them before I buy any. (if DH gives the go ahead)

I am going to be reading up on hatching eggs for the next couple days on here. I will buy some books this weekend to. Lord knows I'm Barnes & Nobles best customer. ( I read ALOT)

I would just like to say Thank You for being here and sharing your ups and downs , success and little mistakes...( no one fails just makes mistakes) and plain old good advice. I was terrified of begining this adventure into the life my family and I want to start but you have shown me there is nothing to fear but alot to be learned to make a successful go at it.

I just have one thing more to say to all the new members of the BYC , that you have found a wonderful place to be but guard your heart because they have already got mine.

Thanks for listening and your advice is always welcome. [​IMG]

( Not sure if this belongs here so if you would Mod's please move and let me know where to post next time. Thank you. )

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. lewisfarmgurl

May 6, 2008
    south carolina
    One more thing, if you know of a good book with lots of information on the things I'm trying to learn about please share the name with me.

Thank you.

3. lewisfarmgurl

May 6, 2008
    south carolina
    I would like to know how since you joined BYC your plans have exspanded or changed from what you originaly were going to do?

Anyone?

4. smpezzi

smpezzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    Welcome to BYC! You will find you learn something new everyday here! You asked how plans have changed, well before coming here I figured we would just have a couple of chickens with a small coop well our coop has doubled from the original AND our first batch of chicks turned out to be 17 to start with LOL Yup I am Addicted cause I can't wait to get more [​IMG]

Just wanted to say welcome and enjoy

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Oh my.... the addiction has REALLY struck!!

hang around here long enough and you'll have a whole farm!!

Welcome!!

Books can only take you so far, but I find the 'Storey's Guide to...' series to be pretty good overall, and they have topics on chickens, goats, etc.

6. lewisfarmgurl

May 6, 2008
    south carolina
    Quote:Thank you for your reply about the books, I'll look for that series.
    Yes we hope to have a mini farm one day.[​IMG]

7. lewisfarmgurl

May 6, 2008
    south carolina
    Quote:Thank you for the warm welcome and I know what you mean about doubled plans. I had a plan for a coop already to start on then decided to make it bigger and better after looking at everyone else's coops.[​IMG]

8. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Lewisfarmgurl you touched my [​IMG] and I just won't to [​IMG] Thank You

9. lewisfarmgurl

May 6, 2008
    south carolina
    Quote:No, truly I thank all of you for everything .

By the way, " There's no crying in Chickens" .....[​IMG]

Get it! Tom Hanks in League of Their Own....LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by