The afternoon routine

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bakerjw, Jul 22, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I try to spend some time with our chickens every afternoon when I get home from work. Now that the girls have started laying I have made it my prerogative to be diligent about checking the coop and the run for eggs in case one of them decides that she has a better nest that the ones that I made for them.

Anyway my daily visits have become a major part of their daily routine. My entrance into the backyard is met as though I am a king returning triumphantly from battle. They will all run from the far reaches of the run and whine and carry on as I turn off the electric fence and enter the run. A few will dart up the ramp into the coop when I make my inspection for eggs. They then will all follow me as I walk the perimeter of the run checking for signs of predator intrusion or wayward eggs. My visit usually concludes with me sitting down and holding a form of "chicken court". They gather around telling me about the events of their day. None of these girls are what I would consider to be lap chickens. They tolerate me picking them up if I can catch them and some even get submissive as though I am a rooster. They see me for what I am. The treat and scratch master.

But it is really neat to have these creatures that we've raised from little fluff balls interact with humans as well as they do.

2. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    My entrance into the backyard is met as though I am a king returning triumphantly from battle.

I sooooo agree!!! Well put!

Mine go on and on and on telling me tales as they gather at my feet! I realize they view me as the 'treat queen' but I would like to think they actually love me![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by