The age old question...EE or...dare I say it....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrs. Feathers, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    We hatched this little 13 week old girl from local eggs. The hen was a black ameraucana but daddy could have been a black australorp or black ameraucana...a little unplanned fun in the run and I got cheap mystery eggs. She has a sister from the same hatch who looks identical except this pullet has dark brown eyes and the other has olive eyes. Legs look a little greenish in the photo but they are actually dark slate coloured. I don`t care if they are muttly EE`s or the real thing...just curious. What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's a hard one, hahah.

Her body says she's a cross, but everything else can be up for debate, as both breeds share it and muffs/beard are a dominant trait. She looks close to laying an egg though, so I guess that will be the final decider. [​IMG]

3. Mrs. Feathers

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:Don`t I wish....I am still out there singing the time to lay an egg song to my 24 and 21 week old pullets...time to give back for all those BOSS`s ladies! Mind you it would be my luck that the 13 week olds would lay first.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Ameraucanas themselves are naturally considered late bloomers, beginning from 24-28 weeks. Honestly I think I'm just one of the lucky few to have mine begin at 21-24 weeks.

5. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    ive got her twin! looks just like her ha thats pretty cool ill have to get a pic

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I think you are right...she is some kind of Black Australorp or Black Giant/ EE mix. Sure is a pretty bird!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm going to say she's a mix just based on her body and leg coloring.

Here's one of my pure black Ameraucana.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  8. Mrs. Feathers

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:She is very pretty. I am partial to black chickens.
    My other pullet from the same hatch looks more like yours with the more graceful posture and a constant kind of alert look. We call her our fuzzy cheeked hawk. She has olive eyes. I`ll try and get a picture of the two of them together. I am very happy with both of them now I am curious what colour eggs they will eventually gift us with.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Thanks. I have 4 of them, one hatched out some chicks last week. If the Australorp is the father, chances are you'll get green eggs.

Here's another pic for you to compare to.

Here they are thinking they are sneaky, eyeing my apples.
    [​IMG]

And their innocent look.
    [​IMG]

And my broody girl. She had a 100% hatch rate, all 8 eggs hatched. ETA: She's only 7 months old.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  10. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    yup mine is an astrolorp ee cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by