The age old question - is this a roo?! LOL

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stnkyferit, Jul 26, 2013.

1. stnkyferit

stnkyferit Chirping

Jun 1, 2012
    What do y'all think? Definitely a white leg horn, about 10 -12 weeks old (?). Not crowing or anything, but compared to the others I have (Wyandottes, Red Star, Buffs and Rocks) that is some comb!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Definitely a roo.

3. norcalchickens

norcalchickens In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    Looks like a boy to me!

4. Cplatt00

Cplatt00 In the Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    You can tell the difference of a hen and a rooster at a young age by picking the bird. If they pull there legs towards there body it is a hen. But if they keep them out and strait like in the picture they are a rooster. So by the looks of that picture it is definitely a rooster.

5. stnkyferit

stnkyferit Chirping

Jun 1, 2012
    If it is a roo, he is actually very nice and social....and I didn't know about the picking up thing!

6. Cplatt00

Cplatt00 In the Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Yes not all rooster arenas but he may develop a attitude later.

7. Definitely cockerel. My leghorn guys started crowing at about 9-10 weeks.

8. stnkyferit

stnkyferit Chirping

Jun 1, 2012
    LOL...I am keeping him anyway.....he was part of the classroom hatching fiasco...so I saved him....he would be the only roo and thankfully my town allows them.....and if the neighbors complain? My response will be "TELL THE SCHOOL TO STOP HATCHING CHICKS WITH THE WRONG EQUIPMENT AND THEN I WOULDNT BE ASKED TO COME IN AND SAVE THEM!" LOL....

Any suggestions though about possibly keeping him social? Is it possible?

9. Cplatt00

Cplatt00 In the Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    The key to keeping him social would be to spend lots of time of handling and being around him.

10. That works well many times but be prepared to put the roo in his place if he tries any funny business. He must always know that you are top "chicken" and he isn't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: