The Age Old Question - Pullet or Cockerel?

krista74

Songster
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
Victoria, Australia.
Hi everyone.

The following picture is of my two BO x RIR chicks. They are almost 17 weeks old.

I got rid of three others from this hatch of five, both because at just 7 weeks they had massive red combs and lots of wattle development.

These two, I presumed were pullets. They looked completely different from the other three.

But now doubt is creeping into my mind, and I am seeking confirmation that they are indeed girls!

Comb and wattle development is quite slight for 17 weeks in my opinion. They are still a pale pink colour, not red.

But my gosh, they have the stance of cockerels!

Am I going crazy?

Am I on The Long Wait (ie: Never) for eggs?

Please put my mind at rest
big_smile.png

PS: Please excuse the sticky out feather on the wing of the bird on the right. I think she got into a bit of a tangle with one of the big girls.

Thanks in advance,

- Krista

Really?!
wee.gif

I was so convinced they were pullets early on, and then all of a sudden they started strutting around and standing like cockerels!

The rooster had a go at them both too so I presumed I must have got it wrong and they were in fact cockerels.

Thank you both. I am absolutely stoked.

I also have a 20 week old who I am 100% sure is a pullet. She recently staring to develop a small red comb and wattles but that is to be expected at 20 weeks I would presume.

Looks like my little flock of 8 hens will one day become 11 hens.

YAY!

- Krista

Thanks everyone! I am so very happy with the outcome - especially with this new piece of information (below) that I've just received.

My brother took the two birds I presumed were cockerels from this same hatch. Last night, at my request, he sent me the following picture:-

The bird second from the left (not including the photo-bomber!) and the bird on the far right are the two I gave him.

The difference between my two little pullets and the two birds I presumed (correctly) were cockerels is VERY obvious now!

It's hard to believe they are even from the same hatch!

My brother had made passing comments about them being big which i just laughed off, but they look twice as big as my girls.

Looks like I am not too bad at sexing chickens after all!

Thanks again for all your help,

Krista

Sometimes pullets can act very rooster-y if there is no rooster present. These girls that you were confused about are probably just higher on the hierarchy
D.gif
aka acting like roosters.

Sometimes pullets can act very rooster-y if there is no rooster present. These girls that you were confused about are probably just higher on the hierarchy
D.gif
aka acting like roosters.

We do have a rooster and the rest of the flock are 15+ months old, as opposed to these girls who are only 16 weeks old.

That being said, the two 16 week olds plus another 19 week old pullet all hang out together mostly away from the main flock, and it's only when they are on their own that they act this way.

They tend to do a bit of chest bumping, and prancing around as roosters do. However, when the main flock come near they turn back into cowardy-custards!

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom