The age old question....Roo or Pullet?!

chickencrazy9

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Oregon Coast
Good Morning All!,
I have 5 Araucanas that are supposed to be pullets however, I think I have either one roo and 4 pullets or 4 Roos and a Pullet. Pictures below. All guesses appreciated! I think the darker one is a roo.

I think the Roo is on the right

Tricoglossus

Songster
7 Years
Mar 15, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Just can't tell from those pictures, sorry. With pea combed breeds the young cockerals get a distinctive 3 rows of peas comb early on in life. What makes you think that the dark chick is male?

chickencrazy9

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Oregon Coast
It has always been very different in color. Even when they were day olds it had a very golden 'V' on its head, got bigger faster, and now as 6 week olds it's more black with beautiful gold streaks through the wing feathers. The others are more of a muted grey with the other colors being not as vibrant.
My golden sex links combs are really starting to grow but the Araucanas just aren't growing as fast so they have very little comb at this point.

rc4u

Songster
6 Years
Feb 3, 2014
at two to three weeks old just use the tail and wing feather length....roos have short feathers and pullets have long feathers and the roos many times but not all will seem to be smaller than pullets;;;;

chickencrazy9

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Oregon Coast
at two to three weeks old just use the tail and wing feather length....roos have short feathers and pullets have long feathers and the roos many times but not all will seem to be smaller than pullets;;;;

What if they're over 3 weeks old? Mine just turned 6 weeks

rc4u

Songster
6 Years
Feb 3, 2014
just see if you can still tell the difference....and my roos usually are lifting there heads high and stretch out there necks and are last to the food and treats with there head high...

Top Bottom