The air sack inside the egg has POPPED!

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Codyandme1, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Codyandme1

Codyandme1 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Please help,I have a cockatiel egg which was in the nest box I dropped and has a small crack in it. Now I know you can repair the cracks and still have it grow but because there is air from the airsack moving around in the egg I don't know weather it will grow(because the crack is above where the air sack is there is air from outside the egg going into the air sack so the air sack hasn't filled up with the egg white stuff)oh and by the way,the egg is only a few days old if that helps! [​IMG]

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Its going to be tricky but it can be done. Clean the crack with a disinfectant alcohol wipe or gel, leave to dry then apply a drop of candle wax or a thin smear of nail varnish over the crack. Dont worry about the egg cooling it'll be able to stand at least 30 minutes out of incubation.

The aim is to prevent bacteria entering and reduce a higher ate of moisture loss from the egg.

More incubation details on my website;

http://oakgarthgeese.com

Hope that helps you.

pete [​IMG]

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Wont they lay a new egg if you remove the eggs? [​IMG]

4. Codyandme1

Codyandme1 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Well I'm hoping they will lay more but because I dropped the nest box I think they have chosen to abandon that nest box, but do you think if I move the nest box to a different part of the cage and disguise it with branches that they'll think it's a different nest or shall I just leave it?And the other day I went to school I think it was to hot in the incubator(they weren't sitting on the eggs so I took them out)the thermometer said it was something like 50 degrees Celsius (it's not a proper incubator and the thermometer is from my aquarium)I candled the eggs and they weren't cooked but do you think they are dead?I really hope not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by