The All About Chickens Series - Breed 1 - Light Sussex

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jetblack2004, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    Hey BYC! I'm going to be making some threads on here all about different breeds of chickens. The pages will have lots of common questions answered. From the size of egg, to the use of the bird you're bound to find the information you're looking for! The first page will be all about the Light Sussex.

Hope you find what you need to know!
    -Jet

LIGHT SUSSEX[​IMG]
    Credit to Fancychooklady for the wonderful Light Sussex cockerel picture!

What is the colouring of a Light Sussex? - The Light Sussex is predominately white, with black feathers around the neck. The cockerels have long, shiny black tail feathers while the hens have shorter black tail feather.

What is the Light Sussex egg colour and size? - The egg colour is medium-large in size and normally pale cream- almost white.

How many eggs does a Light Sussex lay in a year? - Most Light Sussex lay around 230 eggs each year.

What is the use of a Light Sussex - The Light Sussex is dual purpose bird, meaning it is used for both meat and eggs.

What is the colouring of a Light Sussex chick? - Light Sussex chicks are yellow but grow white feathers as they get older.

How much does a full grown Light Sussex weigh? - Cockerels weigh around 4kg and hens weigh
    around 3kg.

Where does the Light Sussex originate? - The Light Sussex originates in Sussex, England.

What age does a Light Sussex reach maturity? - A Light Sussex reaches maturity at around the age of 20 weeks.

What is the temperament of a Light Sussex? - The Light Sussex is a docile and alert breed. The hens aren't normally flighty and the cockerels are rarely aggressive.

Are the hens likely to go broody? - Yes, very. The Light Sussex hen makes an excellent mother.

I hope you found the information you wanted on this page!

Look out for the next breed information list- next time It'll be about the Rhode Island Red!
    -Jet

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by