The All About Chickens Series - Breed 4 - Silver-laced wyandotte

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jetblack2004, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    Hey BYC! I hope you like my fourth breed thread- this time about the Silver-laced Wyandotte! From the size of the egg to the use of the bird you're bound to find the information you're looking for!
    -Jet
    Silver-laced Wyandotte [​IMG]
    Credit to forgetful for the wonderful Silver-laced Wyandotte hen and cockerel picture!

What is the colouring of a Silver-laced Wyandotte? - Silver-laced Wyandottes are exactly that- they have silver-laced feathers. The cockerels have lots more white around the neck and on the body.

What is the Silver-laced Wyandotte egg colour and size? - The eggs are brown and large in size.

How many eggs does a Silver-laced Wyandotte lay in a year? - The Silver-laced Wyandotte lays around 200 eggs a year.

What is the use of a Silver-laced Wyandotte? - The Silver-laced Wyandotte is mainly used for meat.

What is the colouring of a Silver-laced Wyandotte chick? - The chicks are dark grey with lighter grey chests, light grey stripes down the back and light grey speckles on the head.

How much does a full-grown Silver-laced Wyandotte weigh? - Cockerels weigh around 4kg and hens weigh around 3.2kg.

Where does the Silver-laced Wyandotte originate? - The Silver-laced Wyandotte originates in Eastern USA.

What age does a Silver-laced Wyandotte reach maturity? - A Silver-laced Wyandotte reaches maturity at around the age of 20 weeks.

What is the temperament of a Silver-laced Wyandotte? - The Silver-laced Wyandotte is a calm and docile breed.

Are the hens likely to go broody? - Some Silver-laced Wyandotte hens have a stronger tendency to go broody than others.

I hope this helped you!
    Look out for the next chicken breed information thread- next time it will be about the Barred Plymouth Rock!
    -Jet

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. chimera

chimera New Egg

Apr 23, 2013
    How would they do in southeast US? I live in Northwest GA and these are the birds I think I want to get.

3. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    I think they'd be fine anywhere in the U.S.

-Jet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by