The amazing disintegrating beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DaughterOfEve, Jun 18, 2011.

1. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    My quail d'anver's beak all of a sudden we noticed ... gone. The top beak is half the size of the bottom one, I thought at first it was an injury but after closer examination it appears like it is flaking off. The poor guy. I found one other thread about this but no one had any hard and fast knowledge on the subject. I fed nutridrench from a dropper this morning in case it is some kind of deficiency in his diet. He is not for breeding just for fun and is a very happy guy. I have pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will it grow back, anyone have any experience with this? I need input please.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Could still be from an injury, a beak is just like a finger nail .... hit it in the wrong spot and it deforms. Could also be vitamin def etc.... keep up the vitamins and see what happens. It should grow out in time if the main channel was not destroyed. I would sand down the bottom beak some to make it easier for him to eat, also make sure he has a deep bowl of food to make it easier to grab.

3. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Thanks for your reply. I am hoping it grows back in.

4. fifelakelooper

fifelakelooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    fife lake, mi.
    Quote:How strange! I can't imagine a disease that is causing this. How is his behavior?? Is he acting ok and is he able to EAT ok?? Poor thing...hope you get answers and sorry I'm no help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by