the amazing dissapearing duck!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Evelle, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    sorry the first one really was me mumbling.. so im going to rewrite this..
    i have 4 blue swedish, i go out often and only see 3 ive looked everywhere for her. My ducks do not go far from home for my property is VERY heavyly wooded. They are usually all together. ive looked under the coop, in the run, in the coop around the house, and even around the house high grasses what i call the bairer, for my chickens, duck, or turkeys dont pass it. now i know shes not gone for when its food time i see her but shortly after she dissapers again ive tryed to watch her but with two dogs three kids and many birds it difficult to keep my eyes glued to her and as soon as i look away she is gone.
    with it getting colder and starting to frost im getting scared that she is not in the coop. when i close it at night the past two days ive left it open because i dont know where she is and i dont want to close her out all by herself.
    what should i do i sware ive looked all over to see if i could see if shes sitting on a nest or something and im not sure if i have a drake. im racking my brain tring to figure out what my dissappering duck went but no sign of her anywhere!!
    any ideas what to do?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    no ideas what i should do? should i just leave her and see if she come up with duckling right when it starts to snow?? or should keep looking any ideas where to look that i might be missing?
    im just worried she might be outside and get attacked by the many coyoties i hear at night..
    im just in a panic i was hoping that someone else could have some ideas [​IMG]

3. Luciesbuddys

Luciesbuddys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    try to follow her? Lock them up while they eat so they are stuck for the rest of the night????

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    She could be under anything that she felt was secluded and safe for a hidden nest. Under buildings, behind stuff, in thick grass, under the coop. They are masters at hiding nests. You can lock her up when she comes to eat, or have someone to tend the kids and follow slowly behind her to see where she is going.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats about all you can do is try to follow her or lock her up when she comes home to eat. She could even be sitting on non fertile eggs if you don't know if you have a drake. I don't think I'd leave the coop door open in the night or you might have more than 1 missing duck.

6. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    thank you
    i fed them so i could follow her she went under the our coop in a corner that was so small no light could shine through..
    my daughter lifted up a vent we have to help clean the coop and
    and guess what i found. 24 eggs i broke a few reaching my hands in the little hole
    thank you for helping me sometimes when your brain goes haywire its hard to think stright
    [​IMG] to bad i dont have a drake i had to toss all those eggs [​IMG] #CRY
    thanks again
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by