1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"The Animals Eat Before You Do"!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityChicker, Sep 2, 2009.

1. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    My parents drilled this into my head growing up. We had to get up before dawn and take care of all the animals without being allowed to do *anything* first. All these years later, I can't get it out of my head. LOL

I have had a sick stomach for like two weeks now and this morning I was so nauseous when I woke up. I was like- "Today is the day I eat before the animals! I am going to make some toast and take like 15 minutes to eat. They can wait just a little while". By the time I had slipped on some clothes, I was already feeling guilty and heading out to take care of the animals! LOL

It is the same way for me with...

"Finish everything on your plate".

Anyone else?

2. We always do AM Feed before breakfast here.

3. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Yes, the four legged, two legged and finny animals eat before the human animals in our house. Family and friends know that they don't eat until the other animals are fed.

4. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Feeding is a very easy chore at our house, so yes it does come 1st. I wake up, wash my hair and go out to the coop in my robe and hair in a towel. Open the chicken coop then head over to the horse barn to feed the horses then head back into the house to finish getting ready for work. When we get home from work, I park the car and head to the chicken coop to let them out to free range and then to the horse barn to feed the horses and then I feed the dog and head into the house to feed my family last!!
    No one complains so guess it works well for us too!!

5. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    i am the LAST one to eat - always.... even after the workin dogs and all these lazy cats

6. Tonopah Pati

Tonopah Pati Rest in Peace 1938-2011

Mar 24, 2009
    Tonopah, Arizona
    We had to take care of all animals before we could eat. Must have had same set of rules. No matter how old you are the rules stay with you. I would say some darn good teaching. How about you?
    [​IMG] One day the kids are all gone, the house gets real quite, and stay's clean.
    Then you wonder how you did all that you did in a day. It now takes all day just to play with the critters, cook for myself and clean. Putts with whatever project I have going or thinking about having going, oh and looking at the mountains, taking some time out to thank God for letting me have the day to do what ever I will. Life is great!
    [​IMG]

7. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Amen to that Tonopah Pati! My kids are grown and I sometimes feel alone..so I just look outside and Thank Him for another wonderful day!

8. Luna_Chick66

Luna_Chick66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    First thing I do in the morning is let out the dogs, feed the cats, check on my chicks..................... and then go back to bed.

ZZZzzzZZZZzzzzZZzzz

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."
    Proverbs 12:10

I'm going to make this my signature line for a while, so don't think you're seeing double...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2009
  10. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Nope, first thing I do is cook breakfast/fix my DHs lunch. I get up before 6 am and my critters are all fed by 7 am. I don't eat until noon any way just beacuse it makes me nauseous to eat early in the day but my dh and kids get the food before the animals.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by