1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The anticipation is killing me!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WaddleWaddle, Mar 7, 2014.

1. WaddleWaddle

WaddleWaddle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    Culpeper, VA
    I ordered my chicks on December 5th and they are due to arrive in 11 days!!! I can't wait! Here is what I ordered:

Chicks:
    2 Dominiques
    2 Olive Eggers
    2 Light Brahmas
    4 Black Australorps
    4 Barred Rocks
    2 Buff Orpingtons
    2 Cuckoo Marans
    4 Easter Eggers
    1 Meyer Meal Maker

Ducklings:
    2 Jumbo Pekins
    4 Rouens
    4 Buff Ducks
    4 Blue Swedish
    4 White Pekins

The brooder is setup and the new 12'x16' coop is being finished this weekend as my current coop has suffered the effects of chicken math!

2. speedbird

speedbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! I just got mine yesterday![​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  3. Summerford

Summerford Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2014
    Smithville Ms
    I'm still waiting on mine to be shipped. But till then I've got plenty of work to do. Looks like you are going to have a nice flock.

4. WaddleWaddle

Dec 1, 2013
    Culpeper, VA
    Thank you. I already have 11 hens and 3 ducks so this will be a big addition!

5. WaddleWaddle

Dec 1, 2013
    Culpeper, VA
    @speedbird what kind did you get?

6. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I'm getting mine tomorrow!!! I usually know months in advance that I will be getting them...but I only decided two days ago! I don't know which is worse. :)

7. WaddleWaddle

Dec 1, 2013
    Culpeper, VA
    @Chicks Galore3 What kind are you getting!?

8. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Adorable! Congratulations, you must post pics when they come! Are you ordering them, or getting them from a feed store? I get them from feed stores because I prefer watching the chickens and picking the ones that I like. [​IMG]

I still have to ask the neighbors, but I'm hoping to start getting mine about a month from now. I wish I could get them sooner, but in two weeks I'm leaving for a week... I wouldn't leave the chicks with my brother if someone paid me a million bucks. [​IMG]

9. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I'm getting them from a feed store - I've ordered them in the past. I will be getting 3-4 silkies and 3-4 assorted bantams. I don't know if I should get 3 or 4 from each breed...I know I might end up with roosters, so I want to get extras for the ones I might have to give away...but what if they are all pullets?! LOL I'm not sure. I wanted to get bantam cochins but they don't come in bantam sized. How does getting them from a feed store work? Are they like in big bins that you have to choose from or do you go up to the counter and say " I want this many of so-and-so breed" and they go back and get it for you?

10. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    If you get four, you'll probably get one or two girls from each batch... most are boys, I would say 60-80% depending.

As for how you get them, there were one or two people milling about the chick area to make sure no one tried to pick up the babies, which were in water troughs. Usually if you get there first, you can expect for there to be around 40-50 in each bin. A few days after, probably only 10-20. You just go up to someone, and say you'd like to buy some. They will give you a box, and write on the box the breeds and number you want of each breed. Then they just go around to the appropriate bins, and they should ask you to pick. If you don't care, just say "Oh, any", or if you want to pick and they don't (just reach in), you could probably just say : "Can I pick the chicks?" They won't let you reach in there to get them, so I would say point, and if the breed has different colors point and say : "the black one", or something like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by