1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The apocalyptic herb garden

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Apr 25, 2011.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Okay, so we have a thread about what animals we would have in our herds/flocks should times become harder. Now what herbs would you plant in your herb garden on the off chance that OTC medicines become less available or too expensive.
    Ready... go!

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    There is just so many to chose from.... [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Not knowing diddly about medicinal herb usage I'd be up a creek with a left handed paddle- and I'm right handed.

I'd have the usual cooking herbs, I guess. Parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, Simon, Garfunkel, oregano, lemon balm, chives..... no telling from year to year around here.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Camomile, Willow trees (for pain killers), basil, and yarrow.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Quote:Makes a really mellow tea I hear...
    [​IMG]

6. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Quote:Makes a really mellow tea I hear...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I love herbs and have had no fun in trying to grow them here in florida [​IMG] Is there a plant for garlic salt or lemon pepper? I want one of those for sure!

7. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Basil!
    Parsley!
    Chives!

Wait... those aren't medicine? I was so certain the last time I covered my sketti in a whole (store bought) pack of Basil, that it made me feel better.... [​IMG]
    Parsley is good for your breath... so what about Parsley and Mint and when we run out of toothpaste we can mix up our own?

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Mint: Great for sinus congestion and colds
    Chamomile: Sleep aid and also good for keeping seedlings from dampening off
    Chives and sage: to add to chicken soup which cures everything ya know! [​IMG]

9. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    For medicinals, I suppose.. If only we could legally get Australian Melaluca (Tee Tree Oil) trees.. hmmmm... we love that stuff here.. order it from the right place at %100 percent pure oil... it's great for bug stings, scratches, ect.. naturally antiseptic or antifungal or one of those thingies..
    Also I would want Aloe Vera for the same type of purpose and sunburns...

Vanilla! If I had a greenhouse and knew how to grow the stuff, I would just have to have some I could pamper and get Vanilla from.

I'm sure there are too many plants used for medicinal purposes... curious to find out what else..

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Dont forget about Feverfew.. its good for many thing. Fever, headaches, stomach aches...etc...
    Anything that can bring down a fever will be VERY important to have. And anything thats antiseptic also, for wound care...

http://www.motherherbs.com/antiseptic.html

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by