The austrolorp tail....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Oceanseve, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    I take it that the absurdly tall pointed tail is a lorp trait in male and female? I am so used to that pointy tail meaning likely roo in other breeds, but all 6 of my pullets seem to have the same tail feathers always pointed straight up in the air.

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO odd!!! [​IMG]

3. Oceanseve

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Yes, I know that already [​IMG] .

Anyone have an answer to my Q? Is the tall tail feathers just a lorp trait in general, or did the hatchery screw up and send me cockerals? None of my other breeds, 5-6 week olds or hen, have tails that point like this, but the BR cockeral I had last year had a tail just like this.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  4. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    My BA hen has the tall pointed tail. When She stands tall she has a deep U shape that is supposed to be a BA trait....

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    What age are they? i know my roo's tail came in much later than the girls- and yes they are pointed

6. Oceanseve

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    They are about 5 weeks and all got their tails the same time everyone else it was just wierd the way they carry themselves. I figured it was just a lorp trait but wanted to double check. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  7. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Mine 7 week-olds have the same tail - straight up in the air - not all the time but sometimes. It freaked me out at first - I was thinking "Oh no - they're roos!" So I'm glad this is a normal thing for A'lorp pullets.

8. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Took this today, 1 yr old, tail keeps getting taller and more pointed but still lays eggs.....
    [​IMG]

9. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I drove myself batty going round and round worrying if I had gotten a roo in my group of BA's. This ones tail looked different than the rest, this ones comb was really red and large, that one was most vocal, this one most dominant, that one perched and was quiet but looked 'rooish' ... etc etc etc. They all turned out to be hens. I had to resign myself to just wait and see. Here are a couple pictures of my girls as they were coming of age(laying age that is)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    All of the above are correct...all 8 of my australorps have the straight stand up tail and all are pullets/hens. It takes a while for the rooster tail to really show or so I am told.

This is one of my girls with her tail somewhat relaxed

[​IMG]

And this is another one...she has a huge comb and we were afraid she was a rooster but nope You can see the other BAs in the background

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by