The Automated Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by This just Ducks, Dec 22, 2014.

1. This just Ducks

This just Ducks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2014
    I thought perhaps I would post a couple pictures of the best thing I ever did for my girls, and myself, a fully automatic door. It is based on I am sure a very familiar chicken coup door operator. I just converted it to open a sliding door. Also with some special programming by the factory it gives me piece of mind my girls are safe and snug in their bed at night.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    That looks cool. How do you know though that all the ducks are inside? Could one inadvertently get locked out?

3. patolocoeggs

patolocoeggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    Lake Orion, MI
    It looks very cool. Problem I have though is that most of my ducks will go inside their coop as soon as it starts getting dark. But there is always one or two that lay down right next to the door. They only go inside when I make sure they are all safe inside.

4. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    That's awesome. All I want for Xmas

5. This just Ducks

This just Ducks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2014
    I am lucky on a major front in the fact that my girls are completely inseparable so what one does they all do. They also have learned that night time is treat time in there duck house. I made an automated treat dispenser of sorts that is triggered by the "Chip" band on their leg. The chip trips the door and the treats only when ALL the girls are in the house.

With the short winter days there is no one to put them up at night so I had to get creative for their safety.

6. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    WOW, that is impressive! I can only imagine all the cool gadgets you must have in your house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX

How much do you charge?!? That's awesome!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by