The awkward teenage stage

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by Purina, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Purina

Purina Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2014
    If you raised spring chicks this year, they’re most likely 3-4 months old by now. This means it’s time for the awkward teenage stage!

During this phase, here are a few things to keep in mind:

Feed: Continue to feed a complete starter-grower feed to support the protein needs your teenagers need to grow healthy.

Sexual maturity: Your birds will reach sexual maturity between 4-6 months of age, and the difference between males and females will become even more obvious.

Treats: Scratch grains can be fed to your birds starting at 18 weeks of age. At the minimum, wait until they are 12 weeks old and limit the amount of scratch to less than 10% of their diet.

If you’re feeding scratch grains, then you may want to consider providing grit to your birds. Grit is not absolutely necessary, but it can help with digestion of the scratch. Grit is made up of small, insoluble granite particles that assist the gizzard in grinding up large feed particles.

Are you enjoying this stage of backyard flock raising? Post a photo of your awkward teenage birds below!

MageofMist likes this.
  2. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    My 3 month old dinosaurs. :p They don't look as awkward as they used to be when they were younger getting their white floof, I called it the "Awkward Pokemon Stage"

Pretty sure I have 1 roo and 4 hens in the batch of 5 judging by their development, which is a good ratio.

I See You.png

Send help.png

Sleepy Cat and Chick.png

And for the "Awkward Pokemon Stage":
    Bunny Tailed Ridgeback.png

Chickassan and Purina like this.
  3. Purina

Purina Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2014
    Thanks for sharing, MageofMist! What an adorable group of teenagers you have!

MageofMist likes this.
  4. Chickassan

Chickassan Overrun With Chickens

May 23, 2017
    Berea, South Carolina
    My teenagers "well except for Cletus" he's hard to get a picture of because he's always on my shoulder. Almost three months old already acting like adults, typical teenagers. 20170617_154757.jpg

Purina likes this.
  5. MrsAuberry00

MrsAuberry00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    It doesn't get more awkward looking than this!
    19059649_10210790408414363_2432595833855595672_n.jpg

Purina and Chickassan like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by