The awkward teenage stage

Purina

Official BYC Sponsor
Official BYC Sponsor
5 Years
Nov 11, 2014
If you raised spring chicks this year, they’re most likely 3-4 months old by now. This means it’s time for the awkward teenage stage!

During this phase, here are a few things to keep in mind:

Feed: Continue to feed a complete starter-grower feed to support the protein needs your teenagers need to grow healthy.

Sexual maturity: Your birds will reach sexual maturity between 4-6 months of age, and the difference between males and females will become even more obvious.

Treats: Scratch grains can be fed to your birds starting at 18 weeks of age. At the minimum, wait until they are 12 weeks old and limit the amount of scratch to less than 10% of their diet.

If you’re feeding scratch grains, then you may want to consider providing grit to your birds. Grit is not absolutely necessary, but it can help with digestion of the scratch. Grit is made up of small, insoluble granite particles that assist the gizzard in grinding up large feed particles.

Are you enjoying this stage of backyard flock raising? Post a photo of your awkward teenage birds below!

My 3 month old dinosaurs. :p They don't look as awkward as they used to be when they were younger getting their white floof, I called it the "Awkward Pokemon Stage"

Pretty sure I have 1 roo and 4 hens in the batch of 5 judging by their development, which is a good ratio.

I See You.png

Send help.png

Sleepy Cat and Chick.png

And for the "Awkward Pokemon Stage":
Bunny Tailed Ridgeback.png

My 3 month old dinosaurs. :p They don't look as awkward as they used to be when they were younger getting their white floof, I called it the "Awkward Pokemon Stage"

Pretty sure I have 1 roo and 4 hens in the batch of 5 judging by their development, which is a good ratio.

View attachment 1047305

View attachment 1047307

View attachment 1047308

And for the "Awkward Pokemon Stage":
View attachment 1047312

Thanks for sharing, MageofMist! What an adorable group of teenagers you have!

Back
Top Bottom