The babies are coming! The babies are coming!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Princess Lay-a, May 23, 2010.

1. Princess Lay-a

Princess Lay-a Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    Just found out that we will be getting our chicks this week![​IMG]
    I thought it was going to be a dozen or so, but Rich (the chick's grandpa) is very generous and said we are getting 50!!
    Yikes![​IMG]
    There will be a variety of breeds and it's a straight run , so we'll need to see who is boys and who is girls! [​IMG] We mainly want layers, so we'll see about rehoming the boys.

We're clearing out the garage and setting up a large area for them all. I was going to use a really big dog kennel, but with this many we'll have to improvise. The only major concern will be keeping them from being dinner for the cats. [​IMG]
    I have a very large child play yard, actually two of them. Bit we'll see is one will do first.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog...Affs&cm_cat=k97475&cm_ite=siz panel superyard

We'll put cardboard under, then cover with newspapers (and straw?). The top needs to be covered with wire and we have a red bulb brooder light too. Probably will put cardboard or wire around to keep little heads and puddy paws from going through the panels.
    Water and feed containers are already bought, though I need to see what feed to get. I did find two Polish that the boys wanted too, though they will be older. Will that be a problem to house them with the smaller ones? They would be about 7 weeks and these will be about 2 weeks. If there is plenty of food, would that stave off bad behaviors? Rich mentioned a red heat lamp keep them from getting cannibalistic too. Opinions on coffee chaff for chicks?

Any ideas and tips are welcomed! We've had chickens in the past, but they were big pullets, not wee chicks. Thanks!

2. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Wow! Fifty is a lot if you were only thinking of 12. That is a whole lot of cuteness though. I am new to this and I have only had my 15 chicks for two weeks, but from the hundreds of BYC threads that I have read I know that almost everyone on here recommends pine shavings instead of straw. I bought a big bale of it at TSC for $6 and it has worked perfectly. Also I don't know how warm your garage is, but when I tested a 250W heat bulb in my brooder, it got way to hot and I switched to 100W red flood lights. Good luck with all of your little ones!

3. Princess Lay-a

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    We have a 250w, but I think I can pull it up if it's too hot. It'll be attached to the ceiling of the garage. I think I do have some shavings somewhere, thanks for the remind! I was given a bag for our hedgehog. But we use cloth pads in his tank. Just swap and wash for those!
    Yes, 12 to 50 was a surprise! Thanks for the well wishes! [​IMG]

4. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    WOW...Congrats [​IMG] on the new babies. [​IMG] .I can share in the excitement [​IMG] because mine are also coming [​IMG] this week...Maybe Tuesday...OMG...I can hardly wait...but I am so nervous [​IMG] that I am going to do something wrong [​IMG] as this is my first time being a Chick [​IMG] Mama...I am only expecting 12 hens and 1 roo...I have a plastic 105 Liter see thru tub for the brooder. I am just going to hang on by the seat [​IMG] of my pants and hope for the best [​IMG] !!! On a wing [​IMG] and a prayer [​IMG] huh???

5. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
    I think the 2 you have will be fine with the 50 coming! I have some coming to! My dh surprised me with another chick order!

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  6. Princess Lay-a

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    Yes, we can only do our best. [​IMG] Crossing fingers for your babies too! Post pics if you can!

7. Princess Lay-a

May 17, 2010
    Great Falls
    Suzy,
    Wow! Another order? How many do you have now? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by