The babies are here!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MollyDora, Dec 18, 2012.

1. MollyDora

MollyDora Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Crocker, MO
    Hello,

as our big Hen House is in the last levels of completion, we are happy to announce that after tomorrow we'll be pround parents of 15 baby chicks.

We ordered from Meyer's Hatchery and we should be getting

5 Black Australorp
    5 Easter Eggers
    5 Dominique

the next batch we'll get from Cackle Hatchery, since they are only 30 mintues away from us and we can pick them up.

this is their house, for the beginning we provide them with only half the space to ensure they won't get lost. This is an 8'x5' enclosure and it's standing in the heated laundry room.
    We got an Eco Glow 50.
    the 2x4's on the end are sticking up just in case the can jump out once they get bigger, so we have a way of closing it up higher.
    after their feathers grow we will move this whole thing into the garage, which is a little cooler and once they seem fine with that they can move outside with the big girls.
    we have a way to close up a section of the coop so they can see eachother but have a chance to get to know eachother before being together right away.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

what do ya'll think?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Really nice set up! congrats on the chicks hope they arrive safely!
    Hope you share pics when you get them [​IMG]

3. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Looks good

4. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Looks great! Congrats! Let us know when they get there. [​IMG]

5. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Lucky little chicks to come to such a nice home. Well done! When I got my first order of chicks I had no idea they would double in size every day (slight exaggeration ) but it seemed like it, so they quickly out grew their little brooder. Yours should have plenty of room.

6. MollyDora

MollyDora Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Crocker, MO
    thank you for all the positive comments!

It makes me happy to hear that we did our homework and that you guys approve.

Of course we will share pictures of when they arrive!! we are so eggcited!! [​IMG]

7. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    My brooder is about half the size of your brooder and can hold 130 newly hatched chicks and still have plenty of room. They are 2 weeks old now and I have about 70+ left (sold some) and still have plenty of room for them to roam around. I wish I can have the space you have.

8. lbrtyldy

lbrtyldy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    What's the square yellow thing?

How old are the "big girls"? Just wondering how quickly you can move chicks in with full grown chickens - I don't think you can do it until they are almost full grown without some issues.

9. XavCas

XavCas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    Congrats on getting the chicks.! Chicks are always fun and a joy to raise and watch them grow up. You have a very nice set up as well.! I hope they all arrive safetly, and we gets pics of the new babies too.! [​IMG]

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Congrats!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by