1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The babies are so funny!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catlvr976, Apr 14, 2007.

1. catlvr976

catlvr976 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    We went to the feed store today to pick up some food and ended up picking up 2 barred rock chicks. They will be added to our order that is being shipped on Monday!

But anyway, they are so funny. My kids just love these 2; they've been watching them and holding them every now and again all day long. What's neat is that they are in the kitchen and when my girls leave the room and no one is in there with them, they start peeping like crazy, but when my girls are in there, they stop. It's like they're looking for them.

Just thought it was cute.....these are our first chicks ever!!

BTW, do they sleep alot at first? They are eating and drinking and pooping, but they sleep alot, but for very short time periods. Is that normal?

Thanks!!

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I just bought some today too catlvr, mine do the same with eating, sleeping, pooping. What part of pgh or thereabouts are you from?

3. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    Hello!!

I am from south of Pgh, McKeesport (Versailles Boro). How about you?

Where did you get your chicks? We drove out to Apollo Milling b/c I called this morning and they said that they had Ameraucanas in, (what I actually wanted to pick up since I didn't order them online) but when we got there, all they had left were the barred rocks. So, instead of leaving empty handed......... [​IMG]

4. equine chick

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I live near butler, about 1 hour north of pittsburgh. Dh grew up in swissvale, east pgh near kennywood park. I got mine at mijaveks feedstore near the ohio border when we went to pick up hay for our horses. I have 25 coming from meyers hatchery in early may of differnet breeds but just could not wait. I bought 4 today all they had of their standards, i think i have 1 americauna 2 rir and one barred rock. I hoping they are not all roosters.

5. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    Wow, how neat!! My mom used to work in Swissvale.

I grew up in West Mifflin, DH in Munhall. We just moved to where we are now a little over a year ago.

It's nice here, although, now I'm wishing we would've moved somewhere a little more rural so that we could have more chickens. I think I've lost it! LOL! Maybe someday.

6. equine chick

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Nice to meet you catlvr, we lived out here for about 8 years and i've always wanted horses and chickens. I got my horses about 3 years ago and finally convinced the dh to get chickens. This is an addicting hobby, and they are so darn cute!

7. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    Nice to meet you as well, my name's Jessica, by the way.

That's another animal that I'd love, LOVE to have someday, a horse. I've loved horses my entire life, and have always wanted one.

Are horses very expensive to care for? How much land or room do they need?

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:YES. [​IMG]
    I've had horses my whole life, and they are very expensive, but I wouldn't give them up for anything.

9. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Aren't chikies a blast?

Exepct when they decided to poop in your hand o.o;; [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yeah, I'll walk in to find my trio sleeping in a little line, it's so cute!

10. catlvr976

Mar 5, 2007
    Near Meadville, Pa
    They are so sweet. It's just so amazing to see how they act. It's almost like they have separation anxiety just like my 8 1/2 month old baby does! It's like as long as they can see you, they're fine, but the minute you leave the room, they start peeping, LOUDLY. And we have them in a guinea pig cage that's wrapped in cardboard except one part of the front so that my dd's can see them, and when you come into the room, they run over to that part of the cage and sit their like they're just waiting for you to pick them up.

I had no idea chicks acted like that. It's so neat cause we've only had them for one day. I thought they'd be standoffish.

CarriBrown, what exactly is it that makes them expensive? The vet bills, food? And you don't have to answer this, but what exactly would it cost to keep just a couple? Just curious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by