The baby clucks are here !

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken_queen_tam, Aug 5, 2009.

1. chicken_queen_tam

chicken_queen_tam In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Mt. Nebo WV
    The new baby barred rocks arrived yesterday. They threw in an extra baby so that makes 26.Seem to be doing well.Have one little guy thats really small. But seems to be doing good today. Had some trouble with them wanting to eat the pine shavings, so the only thing I could thing of to do was cover the shavings with paper towels so they couldn't get at them. I knew not to use newspaper. Hopefully after a couple days they will not want to eat the shavings. Silly babies.[​IMG]
    Tammy

2. juliect

juliect Songster

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    Congrats! [​IMG]
    Pics...pics... pics! Need pics! [​IMG]

But I really can't say anything...it took me 5 days to get around to taking & posting pictures. Taking care of chicks is more work than one would think...hens make it look easy [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I use paper towels for two to three weeks.

Expensive, but easy cleanup.

I just add on top for four or five days... then roll them up, dispose and start over.

4. juliect

juliect Songster

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    Is everyone settling in ok?

5. chicken_queen_tam

chicken_queen_tam In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2009
    Mt. Nebo WV
    Everyone seems to be doing great except for the the little runt. I don't think she is going to make it. At 1st I thought that she would, but this morning she is not doing well.[​IMG] As many times as I have been thru watching farm animals not make it in this world, you would think that I would be desensitized to it, but thats not the case. Poor little guy.[​IMG]
    I will continue to use the paper towels for a few more days to make sure that they don't eat the shavings. Little dorky kids. [​IMG]
    Will try to get a couple pics posted soon. Been busy knitting, canning peaches and peach jam and taking care of the brood + the rest of this funny farm.
    Tammy

6. juliect

juliect Songster

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    Quote:Yum...peach jam. I haven't made peach jam in years!

Sorry about the little runt. It is hard to watch an animal weaken. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: