The Backyard Broilers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rienex, Jan 27, 2014.

1. rienex

rienex Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    Ubay, Bohol Philippines
    Although we have raise chickens since i was young its my first time to raise broilers( i still don't know if they are meat or egg type) which i personally bought in a agrivet store and i am welcome to get new information's on how to properly raise them in a natural way as possible,vitamins to give or how often to feed them because i have little knowledge about these birds by the way i am new here in BYC so please4x share your informations.[​IMG]

The Broilers

[​IMG]

When they first arrived i place them in this brooder made by me and my grandfather

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after 2 weeks and a half i introduce them to the outside by building this pen(made from badminton net i found in our garage)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i decided to make them a little house for some shade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here they are feeding on my homemade feeder made from bamboo

[​IMG]

at night i put them inside the pen my grandfather made

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Hello, and welcome to the forum! You have Cornish Cross broiler birds(for meat only) and you look like you are doing an excellent job raising them so far...they look to be a good size and eating appropriately for their type of bird. If you have a way of giving them more space or letting them free range in a larger area where they can hunt for bugs and such they will thrive better. Plenty of water handy...as you've probably noticed they drink quite a bit of water.

If you can ferment their feed it can provide more nutrition for them from the feed you are currently feeding and provide probiotics as well, while also cutting down on feed costs. It's easy to ferment the feed by placing some in a bucket, adding a little more water than you added feed and stir it well. You look to be living in a warm climate, so you will have started some fermentation in your feed by the next day...just stir it each day and feed it to the birds at the same amounts you are currently feeding. When the bucket gets a little low but not empty, add fresh feed and water to keep the mix going and letting the last batch help ferment the next batch. You can leave the top uncovered or with a lid cracked open a little to allow gases to escape. You'll know it is fermenting when it smells a little sour, has bubbles coming up out of the feed and before you stir it in the mornings you may see a grey/white/beige film on top of the feed or water and that's the good organisms that are fermenting the feed.

Here's a few threads on it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds/14110

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them/1850#post_12711201

And here's a good thread on free ranging the broilers and also feeding fermented feeds: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-your-cornish-x-meaties-tractors-do-not-count

You might get more answers to your question if you copy and paste your post into a new thread in the meat bird section of the forum. Good luck! Grow them slow and long and they should do very well.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]yes, they are chubby meat birds. I've never had them but, know some people feed them 12 hrs. and then 12 hrs. with no feed because they will literally eat themselves to death. Moving feed dishes farther away makes them get a little exercise. They are bred to put on weight fast and be processed early.

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] it's great to have you here with us [​IMG]

[​IMG] You documented the life of your chickens very nicely [​IMG]

I also learned to raise chickens from my Grandpa some 40 years ago [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a photo of my flock [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

5. rienex

rienex Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    Ubay, Bohol Philippines
    thanks you so much for the information i really appreciate it,. i will try your tips hope to harvest them soon because our town fiesta is coming [​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. Good luck with your broilers! They seem to be doing well.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your meat birds and enjoy BYC!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by