1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

the bantam

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BairleaFarm, Jul 8, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Back before I knew what i was doing(im still half clueless) I got these bantams from TSC. Later to learn bantams are the size not the breed. What would you say the breed is on these? Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It looks like a regular red star or cinnamon queen or etc...is it smaller than your other birds? Production reds are standard size birds.

3. MinnerBuckwheat

MinnerBuckwheat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    I don't think those are bantams, but rather red sex links.

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Agreed with the above posts. They don't appear to be bantams, but rather red sex links, red stars, or cinnamon queens. (All the same thing.) They are brown layers and in my experience tend to be fairly friendly birds. [​IMG]

5. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I dont think they are small. The are built different but about the same size as the tetras. Here they are with the tetra tints and some CXs(all the same age).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Then they are not a bantam breed.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Aw, I'm sorry that you didn't get little bantams.

BUT, I'm not sorry you ended up with red SLs! They are very wonderful birds, most of my flock is made of them. They'll lay you large brown eggs like it's going out of style. And they tend to be very curious and friendly birds with lots of personality.

Just the other day I was having dinner on the back porch and my biggest red SL, Darla, jumped up into my lap and proceeded to bawk up a storm. I think she was gossiping about her day. [​IMG]

8. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Im not sorry. I had no idea at the time really what i was getting. I got 6 of everything they had. I prefer bigger birds anyways. I am excited about the large brown eggs. Come on girls lay me some goodness.

9. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Thats a Standard Red Sexlink / Red Star Hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by