1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

The battle of the combs!!!

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Thomas Lamprogiorgos, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Thomas Lamprogiorgos

Thomas Lamprogiorgos Songster

Oct 19, 2017
    Hello everyone.
    Do you happen to have some good information about which comb types are dominant to the others in a cross between different breeds?

The Angry Hen likes this.
  2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing 7 Years

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Rose and pea comb are dominant, single comb recessive and that's all I know on comb types.

3. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Crowing

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    Have you googled it? I'm sure there are some good articles out there....

4. The Angry Hen

The Angry Hen Crossing the Road

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    Normally Pea Combs and Rose Combs are dominant. I got a rooster for free that is a Delaware crossed to a Dorking. The Dorking comes in both rose and single combed. My rooster must have been crossed to a single combed Dorking because he has a single comb. When I bred him to a Buff Brahma hen, the pea comb took dominant. So in other words, when cross breeding, the pea comb normally takes dominant like the rose comb too. (Hope this helps and that it is clearly put!) And when breeding... Pea combs are my favorite o work with. :)

5. LilJoe

LilJoe Crowing

Jul 15, 2016
    Missouri
    In my experience the pea comb is recessive? I have two brahma/Cream Legbar mixes and both have single combs.

The Angry Hen and penny1960 like this.
  6. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    rrPp x rrpp would result in a 50% possibility of single combed offspring, yes?

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  7. Thomas Lamprogiorgos

Thomas Lamprogiorgos Songster

Oct 19, 2017
    If I cross a polish with a leghorn single combed?

8. The Kooky Kiwi

The Kooky Kiwi Chirping

Dec 23, 2017
    Hi Everyone - for the comb discussion. I bred a Pekin rooster (single comb) over a Sebright hen (Rose comb) - and this little rooster baby is the result. He will have receive one gene from each parent for Single Comb and Rose Comb and as you can see.. the Rose is dominant over the single! His sister from the same clutch has what looks like a single comb with a bit of the mulberry colouring of the sebright rose comb colouring. They're only 7 weeks old now so their combs will develop. Sekin Baby Roo000003.JPG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: