The beauty of a Game Camera! Heres My Latest Predator.

capthollis

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 14, 2012
South East Texas "Semper Fi"
Ive been wondering what been trying to dig under my pin. Checked my game camera today, and this is what I've caught. A Dog that roams the country roads of where I live. Yes I know where he lives, and No the owners dont care where he goes. I can take care of this problem though.

So if someone breaks into your home, are you going to see if they're going to threaten you (or your family) before you take action?

I do rather hope, though, that you are not shooting a "burglar" when all he is doing is standing outside your gate looking at your house. A dog outside the fence is not equal to a home invader inside your house. That would be more like a dog who had broken into the chicken coop and was inside. Should I be worried about you that you can't tell the difference?

Shoot a stray dog or not. It makes little difference to me. However, I don't like feuds with my neighbors and I find that it often works well to haul the wandering dog down to the local pound. After the owner pays to get the dog out a couple of times, they usually make an effort to keep the dog home.

The neighbors around here keep their dogs home and if they don't, the coyotes take care of the issue in short order. If a dog who is usually penned is out and about, I will take him back to the owner, because sometimes dogs escape. I can't see any reason to shoot someone's pet if that person is doing their best to keep the dog home. Dumped and abandoned dogs are another issue. The coyotes take care of those, and while I find it annoying to have them on my property, they can not get to my birds to harm them.

I find that good fences work better than a gun because I don't have to be home to make the fences work. They work 24/7 whether anyone is standing guard duty or not.

Rufus, GreenLantern, and DigitalEd your are all heading in the right directing. I like the dead skunk idea! Maybe leave a pile of chicken poop for them to eat and roll in! Ha Ha this could be fun! Dogs are man's best friend! If somebody shot my dogs I would cry for days on end and would never get over it. There are a lot of stupid dog owners out there and there are lots of strays in certain parts of the country. My neighbors dogs nearly destroyed my chicken coop, fence, and run in a couple days. But you know what would have been worse? Their 8 year old boy crying because Dakota isn't coming home again. I talked to the owners and shared my concerns and we agreed to do weekly chicken socializing and training. This has worked amazingly! The dogs are no longer interested in the chickens and they show up at my door a couple times a week for milkbones and to play with my dogs. My coop is built so well that only a bear can get to my birds anyway. Yes it is much easier to shoot the dog and I guess if that doesn't bother you than we are very different people.

A quick word on "stray" dogs. My little beagle/golden mix came to me from an overcrowded shelter in Tennessee. She was a stray dog that roamed the neighborhoods and people shooed her away and were abusive towards her simply because she had nowhere to go. She now lives with my wife and I and 3 other dogs with similar stories. She might have been a simple stray dog then, but she is the love of our lives now. Please use caution with your firearms and think of who you could be affecting. I hope I continued the conversation without hostility, it was not my intent.

sad.png

peeked in hoping for a cool thread on game cam pictures
found just another running argument on shooting dogs...
hmm.png

Ive been wondering what been trying to dig under my pin. Checked my game camera today, and this is what I've caught. A Dog that roams the country roads of where I live. Yes I know where he lives, and No the owners dont care where he goes. I can take care of this problem though.
Shoot you know what I think I need to get me one of those
Cameras!!! Any advice on where to go for best price..
I'm excited to put up on mu block!!! City block!!!

Shoot you know what I think I need to get me one of those
Cameras!!! Any advice on where to go for best price..
I'm excited to put up on mu block!!! City block!!!
moultree game cameras are the best for the money. Any outdoor store will have then, if not goto Amazon or EBay , Just make sure it has inferred , and atleast a 5.0 megapixel. $69 is what I've paid for mine. Have fun man, you'll love it!

I'm thinking of getting one as well, but not for predators, I'm going to install it in my nesting cage to see whose laying and whose not laying, but i was thinking of one of those cameras that run almost all day or from 6:00am-6:00pm 12 hrs. Does this type of camera do that or does it take stills of moving objects.

No it won't take super still images, but if they move a little it will get them. Set the camera to take a photo every minute, and it'll eventually get what you need. Being that its set to every minute doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get 60 photos an hour, so it won't be as much culling as you'd think. Don't get a camera that flashes, get one that is inferred, that way you won't be disrupting anything, and they aren't that much more in cost.

Back
Top Bottom