The beauty of wireless!

cookinmom

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
Saint George GA
This is great! I'm in my yard, watching my chickens scratching around, eating grass, having a grand old time, and at the same time, I'm in my lawn chair with the laptop reading about everybody else's chickens! Oh technology!
big_smile.png

I love my wireless laptop. I don't go in the yard with it because I hear chicken poo is hard to clean out of the keyboard after a hen walks all over it.

We run our own network and servers. Every machine in the house is now wireless. If I ever had to go back to dial-up internet I might would have a nervous breakdown. LOL
th.gif

Quote:
ME TOO! I spent all weekend at my parent's house with dial up!
he.gif
I'm sorry... I'm spoiled. If I want Internet while I'm visiting them, I have to take my laptop to Starbucks (YUPPIE ALERT)!

That's just not fair! I've been waiting for dsl for over 6 years. It stops about a mile from my house. I ask all the time when they are going to come down my street. All I get is next year that was 6 years ago and I guess it will be another 6 years. It's a sad, sad world I live in.

That happened to a friend of mine, and what the phone company told her was if she could get some of those people in between to buy it, they would be able to jump off them and get it to her.
When we moved, we were originally told that there wasn't DSL out her, and we thought we'd have to get dialup or Hughes Net Sattelite broadband. When we checked out the price, there was no way in the world we were gonna pay that much for the satellite. But then we found out that we do have DSL here, so we signed up right away.

I had to go with the expensive direcway to get high speed so that my house could be wireless. It only costa about $60 a month now but the first year and a half was over $100. I can go through most of my yard with the laptop.
wee.gif

I used to use a desktop for my primary computer and a laptop for when I traveled, but just use the laptop anymore. I like being able to sit down anywhere in the house and use the computer.

I traveled to Wisconsin to visit my mother this past week. She has her computer in a back room, but I like to just whip out the laptop and surf the web while everybody is chatting or watching TV. She has DSL but didn't have a wireless router. I stopped by Staples and picked up a wireless router for $25 and plugged it into her DSL modem, in five minutes my laptop was in business again. On the road almost every rest stop and motel has wireless anymore. I can grab the laptop out of the back seat and be online in less than a minute to look at a map, check the weather radar, look up road construction advisories, or read BYC...
smile.png

When we moved out to the country our local cable and telephone company told us that neither of them go out that far. So for a couple of months I had to make due with dial up and it about killed me. Then when the contractors were coming out to install my Direct TV, they told me about a provider in the Quad Cities that does satellite internet. It was half the price of Hughes Net. I pay $50 a month and 99% of the time I have no problem with stability regardless of the weather. The installation was $120 and the first month's bill was $100 due to paying for the equipment but after that, just the $50.

Quote:
I agree. Homes have it a mile up my road and everytime I ask about us getting it..."We have no plans for it in your area"
Area? it's a mile up the road you idiots! You know 10 to 1 that all they have to do is flip a switch and viola!!! We would have it too.

Back
Top Bottom