The Beginning Of A Second Chicken Adventure, In Town

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AshlyMommaWard, Mar 14, 2017.

1. AshlyMommaWard

AshlyMommaWard Chillin' With My Peeps

Back story:
    I grew up with chickens on my grandma's farm and loved them. When my husband and I bought our first home (2013) it came with an established chicken coop and run, there was much to do on the property and home, so it was the spring of 2015 by the time I began my first (as an adult) chicken adventure. I relied heavily on this site for guidance and advise as I bumbled through raising 42 chicks. I read and read and read anything and everything I could on here, and built myself a large chicken knowledge base. I had an astounding 95+% accuracy on sexing my original chicks and determined that I must have a gift for it. I've also taken animal behavior, animal husbandry, and animal nutrition in college when I was on my way to a veterinary technician degree (which I never completed, children came along).
    My goal in raising chickens was to have a beautiful, diverse and peaceful flock to spend time with, study and personify, and enjoy fresh eggs from. I sold and acquired birds almost constantly for the first year, until I had the group that met my standards. No two identical birds, colorful egg basket and sweet, wonderful harmony amongst my flock.
    Then the time came to move on to a larger home, and new job opportunities for my husband. We sold our tiny home and four acres and purchased a big home on 1/3 acre in town.. wow, huge change!
    In anticipation of this move I invited my mother (she and I live about 2 hours apart, but are very close and talk daily) to join in this wonderful hobby. When she agreed I built an A frame chicken tractor and selected 3 hens for her and delivered the lot to her as a gift. She dove in head first, quickly expanding and eventually building a new coop and run all together. She's now got 12 mature birds and room to add more.
    My town didn't allow chickens when we bought this house, but as of January of this year, they do. There are many stipulations and rules I must follow, but I can have chickens again! I started a thread when I first found out, asking for advise from folks who have kept chickens in town, and got some great helpful information and now, the journey begins!

There will be a couple posts today, as I catch this thread up with my current progress and then I will update as things get accomplished, as the chicks grow and when anything interesting happens.
    I will always try to respond to posts/questions in a timely manner, but I have three children 4years old and under, so my time on the internet is usually limited, except today.. they're sleeping in after being up all night terrorizing me and I'm in an excitement/sleep deprivation/ caffeine induced haze.
    Also, there will be typos.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. AshlyMommaWard

Day one of the official journey, the chicks are being picked up from Cackle Hatchery right now! I am anxiously awaiting pictures once they're home in their brooder.
    My husband is not an animal person, he respects my right to my own hobbies that don't include homemaking and child rearing.. with that said, there was absolutely 0 chance he would go for chicks being raised in this house (plus, 3 small children, Uh no!). My wonderful mother offered to raise my chicks until they can go straight to my coop, she's got a two stage brooder plan and every detail thought out and tested ahead of time. They're in great hands. I will be going up to visit her tomorrow or Thursday to meet the babies and will take lots of pictures! In the meantime, she will start flooding me with pics as soon as they're home I'm sure!
    My coop is almost finished with the help of a couple hard days work with my moms help during construction and multiple days of my sister in law's help painting. I've still got to attach the wire and add some clear plastic on part of the runs (in the form of shower curtains), cut and attach Plexiglas to the window holes, finish constructing my wire grazing boxes and run "playground" (a series of platforms and ladders), install roost and add a bit more cute decor. I've never had a pretty coop before, and am excited to make this one a beautiful addition to our wonderful back yard.
    Step one:run framing
    [​IMG]
    Lot of work accomplished in two days with my moms help. The teal and brown painted plywood are salvaged from a children's playhouse built by girl scouts that I nabbed off Craigslist for $20
    [​IMG]
    Painting and shingles done! (Photo taken from my screened in back porch, sorry)
    [​IMG]

3. AshlyMommaWard

The chicks are home safe in their brooder and breeds have been determined.
    We have:
    11 Easter egger pullets
    5 dark Brahma pullets and one cockerel
    5 straight run splash cochins (standard)
    9 straight run white faced blue polish
    2 French wheaten marans
    2 French golden salmon marans
    1 French cuckoo marans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by