The beginnings of my 12x12 coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stormylady, May 1, 2009.

1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Well we finially got my coop started good the pictures are kinda dark it is not elaborate by anymeans and will probably need some tweeking in in the end but at least it is off to a good start at last,It is a 12x12 by 6 ft tall so I can get in there and clean when needed, the pen is 10ft by 21ft long and 6 foot tall dog pen. (reinforced) I still have to finish the roof put the last wall up that will have the doors on it, cut the pop whole and put in the furniture( roosts and nesting boxes) and cut some windows that will really only be squares cut in and covered with hardware cloth and the wood cut out of the window holes will be hinged back on so i can close them during bad weather, and I will have to cover the vents at the top with hardware cloth too. Any suggestions for improvement? or other things that I need to add, Its probably missing alot of things Im going to add some bracing boards inbetween the posts for extra support. And of course paint but that will be a while as it refuses to quit raining on my days off! go figure! LOL ! Thanks for all your comment and Suggestions in advance, Sandy[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] 'This is my first ever attempt to build anything. The pictures make it looked warped but it is level i think it must have rained on my camera and got water on the lenz and made it appear lopsided. Just noticed that, sorry.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Looks like a great start. You will figure out what works best for you and will be changing things for a long time. Just keep reading here for ideas and try the ones that sound like they will work for your situation. Then adapt them as you try them. BTW have you figured out how many chickens you can house in a 12x12. Lots of room to grow i would imagine unless you start with a big flock. Keep up the good work.

3. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Thank you, I figured that 36 would be the max but still in that case Im going to have to sell off some of my babies! [​IMG] My designs for the house started out really small and kept growing with the amount of chicks that kept mysteriously showing up:smack. but finially I had to cap it at 12x12.:

4. mygor

mygor Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Mount Perry , Ohio
    Looks good so far. 1 suggestion though. Your walls should have a stud every 16" To help support the weight of the roof. From what I can tell they are every 4' That is not enough. You may get by with a stud every 2' but, you definitely need more studs in the walls. I would hate to see it collapse when you are roofing it.

5. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:Ditto

6. mygor

mygor Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Mount Perry , Ohio
    I hope my comment did not discourage you in any way. Since you live in Ill. I'm guessing that 1' of snow is not uncommon. Your walls will not only have to support your roof but, also any snowfall you get. I just want you and your chickens to be safe and happy.

7. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    No you didn't discourage me in anyway I can use all of the suggestions I can get as this is my first attempt at making a coop or anything for that matter! I was planing on putting in some support cross bars in if thats what you call it in between the post that are in fact 4 ft.apart so putting in a some more 2x4x6s should be pretty easy to include I think. I lost my internet due to the weather for a little while is why I didn't respond right away sorry. If you see anything else that I could improve on please do let me know I wanta get this right the first time! LOL I wouldn't want to start from the ground up again, that is so much work! Thanks again, Sandy.

8. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    I am in the process of building my first coop too. Give this site a try...

http://www.buildeazy.com/chicken_coop_1.html

My coop is nothing like this one but I think that its great for reference for a first time builder IMO.

Its exciting when you get some walls up isn't it! I look forward to the evenings when I can get out there and get some work done, fun, fun!!
    I can't wait for my chickens!! [​IMG]

Keep up the good work!![​IMG]

9. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Huge coop - nice job, I can't wait to see more pics - keep them coming![​IMG]

10. mygor

mygor Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Mount Perry , Ohio
    Quote:You should go with 16" on center with the studs then. X or cross braces do distribute the weight to another area. However they would still leave an almost 4' long area with only a 2x4 for support. That could sag or break over time. If those 2x4s were 4x4s or 4x6s then it would have been different. But then you would be building a pole barn. LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by