The best broody mom that sets for a long time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FF, May 29, 2010.

1. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hello. I need to know the best broody and bets mother. I have had no luck with silkies. Cochins either. I have a girl right now. Theres no rooster in there but i leave her unfertile eggs in there and when if she ever does go broody then I will put some fertile ones in there. OR IF anybody has some in Tennessee, East near Jeffseron County they wouldn't mind selling, they will go to a good home. I just want something to hatch out babies. Never ever had one out of 6 years of raising birds. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Wow, I've got bantam cochins and a silkie, and they all go broody on a regular basis. I wonder why yours don't! One of my bantam cochins set for over 5 weeks, when I got my dream eggs in the middle of her setting some of our yard eggs. I gave her yard eggs to her broody sister, and gave her the shipped eggs, and she sat patiently even after the first eggs hatched in the box next to hers. She hatched 8 out of 12 shipped silkie eggs.

What about a game hen? I've heard they're excellent broodies...

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    My buff orp has been great. Two of my three black australorps have been broody too. One was a great mom, the other not so much--she got bored after about two weeks and abandoned the chicks before they were ready to be on their own.

4. backyardigans

backyardigans Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Modern Game hen has been a great broody and a devoted mom.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I've read that silkies as a breed are quite broody. I wonder if you're leaving them enough eggs to get them started setting.

I have OEGB hybrids, and what I did to get mine to start setting eggs was simply to stop collecting them every day. As soon as a clutch of 8 or 9 eggs built up, one of the hens would start setting on it. Each breed of chicken is going to differ on what is enough of a clutch for them to brood.

6. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Thanks for all the replys. I have left i think at one time 11 eggs and neitehr of my silkies or cochin did anything. There isno rooster in there but I thought that if you make them go broody then you an put fertile eggs in there. Oh well. I really want a momma chicken.Letting the bators rest a while

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    You don't need to leave the eggs. My BO and one of the BA's were just sitting on shavings, when they go broody they'll sit on anything or nothing. I slipped some Ruen duck eggs under the BA and gave the BO some day old chicks.

8. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    If you were closer I'd give you one of my cochin hens. They want to go broody WAY too much for me. How old are your girls? I bet they will go broody, but it will be when they want to and not on your schedule. That has been my experience anyway.

9. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    I have a silkie that is a broody machine. The one on the right and can hold her own to take care of her chicks. I got her last year for just that reason.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by