the best broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zebserema, Jun 21, 2011.

1. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    what is the absolute best broody hen that ever existed i have a silkie but she wont brood at least i dont hink so last night she didnt roost and she hasnt layed in 2 days so what is the real answer?

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Silkies and cochins are known to be the best, but many dual purpose birds will be broody. Buff orpingtons are really good broodies, and can sit on a lot at a time. [​IMG] About your silkie, silkies aren't all that good at laying, so you'll get about an egg every other day(if that much) from her. Chances are though that she'll go broody for you. [​IMG]

3. zebserema

Jun 17, 2011
    Zaxby's2 :

Silkies and cochins are known to be the best, but many dual purpose birds will be broody. Buff orpingtons are really good broodies, and can sit on a lot at a time. [​IMG] About your silkie, silkies aren't all that good at laying, so you'll get about an egg every other day(if that much) from her. Chances are though that she'll go broody for you. [​IMG]

thanks that gives me hope [​IMG]

4. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I had a white cochin who was an egg hatching machine. Sadly a raccoon got her the last time she was sitting. A black austrailorp went broody for me this spring and hatched out a few but so far she's shown no signs of going again.

-S

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Quote:thanks that gives me hope [​IMG]

Wait a minute, she didn't go to roost? If she was on the nest and didn't get off it during the daytime then she's broody. Otherwise silkies have a tendency to sleep on the ground or in the nesting boxes because they just don't like the roost. If she's still on the nest then you have a broody, if not then you should have one soon considering her breed. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  6. Roree-23

Roree-23 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    I've heard from lots of people that silkies are the best brooders but I have had orpingtons which have been broody from april untill november with nothing under them.

7. zebserema

Jun 17, 2011
    Zaxby's2 :

Quote:thanks that gives me hope [​IMG]

Wait a minute, she didn't go to roost? If she was on the nest and didn't get off it during the daytime then she's broody. Otherwise silkies have a tendency to sleep on the ground or in the nesting boxes because they just don't like the roost. If she's still on the nest then you have a broody, if not then you should have one soon considering her breed. [​IMG]

she hasnt left since last night and any time i get near her she screams and pecks me i took a plastic easter egg and put it by her she stood up and with her beak rolled in under her and then sat down she hasnt left since the and that was about 5 hours ago how many eggs can she hold?

8. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Quote:Wait a minute, she didn't go to roost? If she was on the nest and didn't get off it during the daytime then she's broody. Otherwise silkies have a tendency to sleep on the ground or in the nesting boxes because they just don't like the roost. If she's still on the nest then you have a broody, if not then you should have one soon considering her breed. [​IMG]

she hasnt left since last night and any time i get near her she screams and pecks me i took a plastic easter egg and put it by her she stood up and with her beak rolled in under her and then sat down she hasnt left since the and that was about 5 hours ago how many eggs can she hold?

If she's still on the nest then congratulations you have a broody! [​IMG] At the most she can fit 15 bantam eggs and 10 standard eggs but the more you put under her the less she'll hatch so you'll just have to decide. [​IMG]

9. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Silkies absolutely and the silkie crosses sometimes are without a doubt the bestest [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. zebserema

Jun 17, 2011
    Zaxby's2 :

Quote:she hasnt left since last night and any time i get near her she screams and pecks me i took a plastic easter egg and put it by her she stood up and with her beak rolled in under her and then sat down she hasnt left since the and that was about 5 hours ago how many eggs can she hold?

If she's still on the nest then congratulations you have a broody! [​IMG] At the most she can fit 15 bantam eggs and 10 standard eggs but the more you put under her the less she'll hatch so you'll just have to decide. [​IMG]

what do you mean the more i put the less will hatch oh and she is still on the nest [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by