the best camara to buy for the money...

Fancie

Songster
11 Years
Oct 31, 2008
Illinois
I want to start takin awesome pictures of my birds like you guys do... what kinda camara should I invest myself in?

Thanks

Do you want a point-and-shoot or a professional-quality? If the latter Amazon has a pretty good deal on the Nikon D40, round $400. I have the D60, not too different, and LOVE it.

I have the D-80 and i love it. I think all the nikon SLR's are great. Its all a matter of what you want to spend, and what kind of offers/deal are out there. Be sure to shop around because some stores offer great pkg deals. When you find what you want, price shop for a while because patience will pay off.

My goodness, I currently have a smorgasboard of cameras and do need to downsize.

Pentax K10D: an awesome little camera that I got in a kit (camera and 2 lenses) for $499 with $150 rebate. Easy to use as a point and shoot, yet able to produce decent quality pics when you need a little more camera.

Canon: Now, the canons aren't mine, they belong to my photographer friend who allowed me to use them extensively while I was looking to upgrade my pentax. I used the 10D, 40, and 5D. All of them were great but I have smallish hands and short fingers, so manipulating the controls while keeping my eye in the viewfinder wasn't working for me.

Nikon D200: my final choice. I'm still going through the learning curve on that one but I'm getting great pictures! It's a heavy camera, as were most of the ones I've used including the little pentax, but smaller bodied. The weight doesn't bother me at all.

Canon Elf: It's my only point and shoot. It zooms, it has a macro feature and it take pictures of high enough quality to be used by my press photographer friend in situations where his big cameras wouldn't fit, ie in a cookie jar, partially submerged in a swimming pool, to take an underwater picture of a girl who won some special swimming award. Awesome little camera, highly recommended by me if it's a point and shooter you're looking for. Fits in the pocket/purse nicely, too.

My conclusion would be if it's an entry level SLR digital you're looking for, you can't get much better than the Pentax (check the reviews on www.dreview.com ) and if it's a point and shoot, then my little Elf is just fun camera that has great quality.

Happy hunting
smile.png

Buy the camera you know how to operate first before spend big bucks, just my two cents hoping to save you a dollar or two.
Happy Hatch'en

Back
Top Bottom