1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

??? The best Chicken book

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Half-a-dozen, May 26, 2007.

1. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Does anyone have any advice on the best chicken book to buy for a newbie to raising and keeping chickens?

2. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens.

Welcome and good luck![​IMG]

3. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Thanks for the reply, I do love this site!!!![​IMG][​IMG]:)

4. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I got all the basics from Keep Chickens! by Kilarski. It is really short and readable, which was a priority for me. And it has cute drawings.

I also bought "Building Chicken Coops" by Damerow for a whopping $3.95. It was an excellent resource while we were building the coop, and I have a waiting list of friends that want to borrow it lately! [​IMG]

-MTchick

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Living with Chickens: Everything You Need to Know to Raise Your Own Backyard Flock by Jay Rossier

This was the first book I looked at and it really covers the basics well. I have Storey's Guide but it covers everything you ever wanted to know about chickens and then some. I found the first book to be a better read...

6. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    The photos in Jay Rossier's book are eggcellent, I think his book is one of the best books for beginners. I agree with Mac, Living with Chickens is very readable.

I also recommend subscribing to Backyard Poultry magazine, you might find the latest issue at Tractor Supply. The magazine's website is www.backyardpoultrymag.com
    Stephanie

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I forgot to mention it... I enjoy Backyard Poultry magazine to. I've subscribed since the second issue.

8. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Everyone seems to say Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, but my personal favourite is Starting with Chickens by Katie Thear.

9. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I haven't read it, but I heard that "The Chicken Health Handbook" is excellent.
    It has advice on Hatchability, productivity, incubation, nutrition, parasites, infectious diseases and anatomy.

I plan on getting this book. I don't have any chicken books, I have DH, who has been raising chickens as far back as he can remember. He is my reference material! [​IMG]

Jean

10. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    The chicken health hand book is great to have around for trouble shooting any problems. I've found it helpful. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by