??? The best Chicken book

Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens.

Welcome and good luck!
big_smile.png

I got all the basics from Keep Chickens! by Kilarski. It is really short and readable, which was a priority for me. And it has cute drawings.

I also bought "Building Chicken Coops" by Damerow for a whopping $3.95. It was an excellent resource while we were building the coop, and I have a waiting list of friends that want to borrow it lately!
smile.png

-MTchick

Living with Chickens: Everything You Need to Know to Raise Your Own Backyard Flock by Jay Rossier

This was the first book I looked at and it really covers the basics well. I have Storey's Guide but it covers everything you ever wanted to know about chickens and then some. I found the first book to be a better read...

The photos in Jay Rossier's book are eggcellent, I think his book is one of the best books for beginners. I agree with Mac, Living with Chickens is very readable.

I also recommend subscribing to Backyard Poultry magazine, you might find the latest issue at Tractor Supply. The magazine's website is www.backyardpoultrymag.com
Stephanie

I haven't read it, but I heard that "The Chicken Health Handbook" is excellent.
It has advice on Hatchability, productivity, incubation, nutrition, parasites, infectious diseases and anatomy.

I plan on getting this book. I don't have any chicken books, I have DH, who has been raising chickens as far back as he can remember. He is my reference material!
big_smile.png

Jean

Back
Top Bottom