the best chicken food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sunshinehs, Sep 3, 2014.

1. sunshinehs

sunshinehs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Can anyone tell me please tell me what the best chicken food is?? I'm feeding my hens the crumble for laying now.should I switch to something different pellets maybe??

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I doubt you'll find any agreement on this subject. A lot depends on your goals and budget (e.g. I want to feed an organic, whole grain feed, so I'll be going with Scratch & Peck, but I don't think this is the only good choice).

3. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    I was thrilled to find Scratch & Peck feed recently! The girls love it and we feel really good about the ingredients. Can't recommend this brand enough.

4. sunshinehs

sunshinehs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Is that a food that helps with the eggs???

5. HighStreetCoop

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    It's a mixed whole grain food (not ground) so you can sprout it, grow forage with it, and use it like scratch. They do a soy-free version and a corn free-version. I just like that it's not processed.

6. WendyF

WendyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    My Coop
    I used to have parrots for pets. New to chickens. My question is will chickens selectively choose what they are consuming out of a mix like this, potentially causing deficiencies? That is a big concern with pet parrots & just wondering if chickens have that problem, too.

7. RoosterLew

RoosterLew Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Coffeyville, Ks
    Would love to feed organic. But I cannot justify the cost. Locally, "natural" feed that's non GMO but not certified Organic is $.30 a pound. That's good feed, that provides everything they need. Organic-$2.50 a pound?? Over 8 times the cost? Not happening!!

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    The most expensive organic I've ever seen is under 75 cents a pound. What is the organic feed for $2.50/lb. made of, gold? That would be $125 a bag!

9. RoosterLew

RoosterLew Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Coffeyville, Ks

10. HighStreetCoop

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    You so don't want to know what I pay to feed my dog, LOL!

But seriously, the feed I'm going with isn't anywhere near that expensive (though it is about triple what you're paying though). I haven't found any other feeds that are whole grain. All the other options are processed pellets or crumble which I'd prefer to avoid. I REALLY like the idea that I can sprout the Scratch & Peck too for even better nutrition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by